Wounds/ sores on flowerhorn

Elle1844

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2019
Hows he doing?
He is doing better the wounds are gone but just noticed his poo is weird? I have seen mention on here of an intestine condition I think. He has stopped eating his Hikari gold food but has been eating the clown loach food and has bloodworm this morning so I wasn’t too worried till I saw this?

image.jpg

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
Theres a good thread here in regards parasites or intestinal condition. Looks like a stringy poop, would observe but start using epsom salt and bumping the heat. Wc every other day. Some other hobbyists could chime in.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Sometimes white poo can just be a sign of indigestion. But if it goes on more than a few feedings though, it's very possible if not likely the fish is showing signs of Hexamita, a parasitic infection which can often lead to HITH (hole in the head) -- and which FH's are very prone to unfortunately.

As ny.subway notes there some good threads on MFK about this and how to treat it, here's one of the most useful by far (Sticky posted by RD):

Here's the main advice for initial treatment, using magnesium sulphate (Epsom salt, which you can get at most drug stores, just make sure it's pure, not scented like for that used in bath tub Epsom salts):

Now for the treatment ......

For a 3% solution of Magnesium sulphate, add 1 level tablespoon (15 grams) magnesium sulphate to 500 milliliters of distilled water. Stir, and it's good to go.

Use an eye dropper or pipette to add to pellet food (or any other food that will readily absorb it), and stop dripping water once the pellets become saturated. Use only enough water to saturate the food, with no excess water, so that the water soluble vitamins in the food remain intact. Feed twice a day, for 3-5 days. (I went with 5 days)

In extreme cases, the oral solution could be administered to a fish via a pipette.Just make sure to use a flexible tip so as not to damage the fishes esophagus when squirting the solution down the fishes throat. Only a small amount is required, but repeat daily until the fish is accepting pre-soaked pellets, and continue treatment for 5 days.
It's best to do this while the fish is still eating; afterwards it gets more complicated. So at the first signs of any white stringy poo I would suggest feeding pellets soaked in Epsom salt as per above -- even if your fish didn't have Hex this treatment wouldn't have any adverse affect, it'll help clean out its digestive organs.

If the white stringy poo didn't go away after doing this for 3-5 days you'd probably need to consider stronger meds like Metronidazole, but as your FH just started showing this symptom then maybe it hasn't gotten to that stage, so the more natural Epsom salt treatment is preferable.

Again it could just be indigestion, and not ongoing, let us know how it goes.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Agreed, the feces shown in that pic are a classic sign of Spironucleus aka Hexamita. Epsom salt, and if you can get your hands on some New Life Spectrum Hex-Shield I would feed that exclusively for 3-5 days as well. Good luck.

Elle1844

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2019
Theres a good thread here in regards parasites or intestinal condition. Looks like a stringy poop, would observe but start using epsom salt and bumping the heat. Wc every other day. Some other hobbyists could chime in.
Thanks I had a look at some of those threads for some tips. Thanks

Elle1844

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2019
Sometimes white poo can just be a sign of indigestion. But if it goes on more than a few feedings though, it's very possible if not likely the fish is showing signs of Hexamita, a parasitic infection which can often lead to HITH (hole in the head) -- and which FH's are very prone to unfortunately.

As ny.subway notes there some good threads on MFK about this and how to treat it, here's one of the most useful by far (Sticky posted by RD):

Here's the main advice for initial treatment, using magnesium sulphate (Epsom salt, which you can get at most drug stores, just make sure it's pure, not scented like for that used in bath tub Epsom salts):

It's best to do this while the fish is still eating; afterwards it gets more complicated. So at the first signs of any white stringy poo I would suggest feeding pellets soaked in Epsom salt as per above -- even if your fish didn't have Hex this treatment wouldn't have any adverse affect, it'll help clean out its digestive organs.

If the white stringy poo didn't go away after doing this for 3-5 days you'd probably need to consider stronger meds like Metronidazole, but as your FH just started showing this symptom then maybe it hasn't gotten to that stage, so the more natural Epsom salt treatment is preferable.

Again it could just be indigestion, and not ongoing, let us know how it goes.
I hope it is. Sometimes he has normal poo but it is usually white stringy. I have noticed his lol has gone down and is looking more of a wonky shape, used to be perfectly round.

I looked at the thread and brought some Epsom salt but when I tried to feed him the pellets he won’t go near them. Even soaked the granules that I feed the clown loach as he used to love them but no progress I guess I’ll be hunting down a pipette now.

Elle1844

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2019
Agreed, the feces shown in that pic are a classic sign of Spironucleus aka Hexamita. Epsom salt, and if you can get your hands on some New Life Spectrum Hex-Shield I would feed that exclusively for 3-5 days as well. Good luck.
I will have a look for the hex shield. At the moment he is refusing the soles pellets but is accepting frozen blood worm. Will this absorb the salt or should I start trying to force feed him?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store