Your opinion on water changes?

How stressful do you feel water changes are?

• 1 - YIPPEE - Lets play in the water intake!!!

Votes: 25 21.4%

Votes: 15 12.8%

Votes: 26 22.2%

Votes: 16 13.7%

Votes: 14 12.0%

Votes: 5 4.3%

Votes: 11 9.4%

Votes: 2 1.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 - DEATH

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
My african pikes kinda just go play in the other corner and come back over when im done, the only fish i have that gets slightly stressed is my peacock bass

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
ttt

brianhellno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
USA
I voted one since I have a drip system.

Zander_The_RBP;4109554; said:
i voted 2

my piranhas act like frightened children when i do a water change (dashing all over the tank if the hose comes near them, staying on the other end of the tank etc) but they react the same way even to when i just put my hand in the tank so.....

anyway they always seem to really enjoy the fresh water after a water change.
I also have piranha but for the love of all that is holy they acted like I was about to torture and murder them during a water change. No matter how calmly I moved around during the water change they would go nuts. One even looked like it "passed out" or "played dead" from the level of anxiety.

Don't get me wrong I love and enjoy these fish but man they can be nut jobs for next to no reason. I turn my head and look at the tank. SCRAMBLE. The dog walks in the room. SCRAMBLE. I swear when they go to eat, one rushes up to grab a pellet then hauls at break neck speeds to get back to the group, then they do a head count to make sure nobody was taken.

So I'll go with a 1 for water changes and about a 7-8+ for daily life. :screwy:

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Our fish love water changes. They love the turbulence of the water being pumped back into the tank. Here's an old video from a few years ago.

[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A8u9mmnzja8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A8u9mmnzja8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

scubasteve06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
SC
youtube.com
My 7" Gold Sev and 4" Albino O attack the python siphon when it comes near there territory as did my 3.5" pink con when he was still alive.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
My puffers seem to love the clean fresh water coming into the tank... especially my congo, who will literally hang out infront of the cold water stream coming out of the hose...

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I voted 10 because I have a drip system. I think a gradual water change over 24 hours is the best and lowest stress possible for the fish. Any type of disturbance to the tank causes stress. Water changes are at the top of that list.

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
Egon;4114478; said:
I voted 10 because I have a drip system. I think a gradual water change over 24 hours is the best and lowest stress possible for the fish. Any type of disturbance to the tank causes stress. Water changes are at the top of that list.
10 is DEATH!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store