Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hao Hao that headshape is pretty screwy :eek:

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I guess it could be platinum seeing yours Hao Hao . I was going by the "non white" by dorsal fins looks like normal sen color. I was just thinking because of that just washed out sen. If it is a platinum I don't know how these are graded it must be a lower grade one?.

Reactions: clm08k

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I guess it could be platinum seeing yours Hao Hao . I was going by the "non white" by dorsal fins looks like normal sen color. I was just thinking because of that just washed out sen. If it is a platinum I don't know how these are graded it must be a lower grade one?.
I agree

The yellow is probably xanthic? A camera won't change the colour like that imo

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Don't think it's xanthic. Probably the lighting that makes it look that way. But does look like different fish.

Reactions: Hao and clm08k

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Hao Hao 's platinum is extremely high quality. All white, no color cell spots except in the eyes.
The pic of the fish you sent, still appears to be platinum, but to me looks like a slightly lower grade than Hao Hao 's due to color cells on the fish (yellow fins and color spots on the head). However that would still make it a platinum. There are variations of leucism. Some are pale 100% white except the eyes, others will have spots/patches/fins of non-white colored cells.

Couldn't find adequate information about leucism or grading systems....so going to explain this with a clownfish, because I've kept them before.

These are ranked by the 3 bands on the fish touching and the amount of white on the fish. the more bands/white, the more the fish is worth. Obviously there are variations in each of the ranks as well.
0 band connecting: grade B
2 bands connecting: grade A
3 band connecting: extreme

IN the possible platinum poly case:
IMO, the seller's fish in the clear pics is a lower grade "extreme" platinum, due to minor yellowing on the fins, but still a nice fish. In the pics where it looks yellow, I would say a grade B platinum. Platinums are really cool, I mean I would get it if the price is decent. Hope this helps.:D

Anyone please feel free to correct or add any info.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Hao Hao 's platinum is extremely high quality. All white, no color cell spots except in the eyes.
The pic of the fish you sent, still appears to be platinum, but to me looks like a slightly lower grade than Hao Hao 's due to color cells on the fish (yellow fins and color spots on the head). However that would still make it a platinum. There are variations of leucism. Some are pale 100% white except the eyes, others will have spots/patches/fins of non-white colored cells.

Couldn't find adequate information about leucism or grading systems....so going to explain this with a clownfish, because I've kept them before.

These are ranked by the 3 bands on the fish touching and the amount of white on the fish. the more bands/white, the more the fish is worth. Obviously there are variations in each of the ranks as well.
0 band connecting: grade B
2 bands connecting: grade A
3 band connecting: extreme

IN the possible platinum poly case:
IMO, the seller's fish in the clear pics is a lower grade "extreme" platinum, due to minor yellowing on the fins, but still a nice fish. In the pics where it looks yellow, I would say a grade B platinum. Platinums are really cool, I mean I would get it if the price is decent. Hope this helps.:D

Anyone please feel free to correct or add any info.
I do agree there are different grades of leucism.
Here are my old low grade platinum silver aros.
One was blind. I think the blind one was little bit higher quality. The other one I think is the lowest quality for a platinum silver aro. You can tell these are low quality since the back is not fully white like those "snow white".
IMG_1608.jpg
IMG_8300.jpg
IMG_3368.jpg
IMG_3101.jpg

Reactions: clm08k and Hendre

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I do agree there are different grades of leucism.
Here are my old low grade platinum silver aros.
One was blind. I think the blind one was little bit higher quality. The other one I think is the lowest quality for a platinum silver aro. You can tell these are low quality since the back is not fully white like those "snow white".
View attachment 1255928
View attachment 1255930
View attachment 1255929
View attachment 1255931
those are sweet! Do you still keep arrowanas? Were these in with the polys or in a different tank?

Reactions: Hao
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store