Can you find the difference between borneo & sumatra datnoid ?

noandryano

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.facebook.com
Hi guys,

in the last few years, indo tiger fish (datnoides microlepis) become famous not only in ASIA, but also US and Europe region. I saw many hobbyist posted their lovely tiger fish, 3 bar or 4 bar, very stunning fish.

But do you know that indonesia tiger fish has 2 types ?

Usually hobbyist only know that indo tiger fish comes from Borneo, but the another one comes from Sumatra river.

sumatra tiger not many person know, because they are mostly only 4 bar, and hobbyist usually like clean 3 bar.. so if you are not in tiger fish, you just see its same with borneo 4 bar, nothing impressed.

But, take a look in this picture.. can you find the difference between borneo & sumatra datnoid?

lets comment below ^_^

IMG_1242.JPG

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys,

in the last few years, indo tiger fish (datnoides microlepis) become famous not only in ASIA, but also US and Europe region. I saw many hobbyist posted their lovely tiger fish, 3 bar or 4 bar, very stunning fish.

But do you know that indonesia tiger fish has 2 types ?

Usually hobbyist only know that indo tiger fish comes from Borneo, but the another one comes from Sumatra river.

sumatra tiger not many person know, because they are mostly only 4 bar, and hobbyist usually like clean 3 bar.. so if you are not in tiger fish, you just see its same with borneo 4 bar, nothing impressed.

But, take a look in this picture.. can you find the difference between borneo & sumatra datnoid?

lets comment below ^_^

View attachment 1264270
K krichardson

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
K krichardson
Hey tlindsey!.....I posted on this subject in another thread a short while ago and my thoughts are that there seems to be very little if any difference between the two.It's not like they are a separate species.I wouldnt go as far as calling them regional variants.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I notice some vendors are labeling certain indo dats as Sumatran dats...not sure if they are charging more for the Sumatrans but seems like a marketing ploy to me.

noandryano

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.facebook.com
I notice some vendors are labeling certain indo dats as Sumatran dats...not sure if they are charging more for the Sumatrans but seems like a marketing ploy to me.
thank you for your comment but that is not a marketing ploy Sir, they are different, in meaning regional variants.

if some shop selling more expensive because sumatra datnoides more rare than borneo datnoides, they are more less in river than borneo, since this fish all wild caught not own breed,

sumatra datnoid more hard to get compare with borneo dats, because of the origin habitat destroyed by palm oil polution.

and if you can see the colour of sumatra more yellow than borneo.

thank you ^^

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
thank you for your comment but that is not a marketing ploy Sir, they are different, in meaning regional variants.

if some shop selling more expensive because sumatra datnoides more rare than borneo datnoides, they are more less in river than borneo, since this fish all wild caught not own breed,

sumatra datnoid more hard to get compare with borneo dats, because of the origin habitat destroyed by palm oil polution.

and if you can see the colour of sumatra more yellow than borneo.

thank you ^^
That's all fine and I'm not trying to argue with anyone.I love datnioides as much as any member on here.I have kept all of the known species of datnioides but the differences between the two fishes discussed here is not noticeable enough to me to warrant me paying more for one just because it is supposedlyy from Sumatra rather than Borneo. That is what I meant by marketing ploy.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The different tones of the creamy base color are nice and I have had indos over the years that have displayed a range of coloring...does that mean that some of them were Sumatran?....possibly.I tend to be more enamored with an indos bars and patterning than it's base color.

Reactions: Lepisosteus

noandryano

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.facebook.com
can i see your datnoides Sir ?

sorry me too not trying to argue..

according my knowledge, here is the difference between sumatra & borneo dats :

- black & bold line
- more stable
- the base colour is yellow, not so browny like borneo
- more high body

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
can i see your datnoides Sir ?

sorry me too not trying to argue..

according my knowledge, here is the difference between sumatra & borneo dats :

- black & bold line
- more stable
- the base colour is yellow, not so browny like borneo
- more high body
I don't have any new photos but I have plenty of threads in the datnoid section where you can find photos of my stable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store