Can you find the difference between borneo & sumatra datnoid ?

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Very tough to distinguish these two species. Similar to that of Florida vs spotted gars. If you really want to know, send me a scale from the sample in question and a scale from a known sample. I’ll have a friend of mine doing their PhD in the biology lab to do a genetics test. Hooefully it determines something for ya. Stability can’t be used as a determining factor. Neither can color/pattern as all of these vary greatly between specimens.
I hope he can tell if these damn kids are mine

Fish Heav3n

Candiru
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
New Jersey
What is that photo supposed to be pointing out besides a stable dat and an unstable one?
The difference isnt about the stability of the 2 datnoid. Borneo tiger doesnt get yellow/gold color even when they are stable. Their body are naturally brown or tan in color. The two has the same scientific name due to the number of line or stripe. Both are from two different region of Indonesia separated by the South China Sea. As for the reason why they are given the same scientific name I do not know why. Maybe someone can give us an answer. I personally know some fishermen from both region and recently imported a group of both type. Ill grow them out and see whether they are different in color, body shape and stability.

49721927_1150755565101124_5921063672569921536_n.png

Reactions: Vancouver_98683

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Okay....thanks for replying.

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
You know it really doesn’t matter where or what names you put on Datnoids. I’ve had groups of 5 or 6 since I was 19 and I’m 70 now. Their was Siamese Tigers, Silver or gold..That’s It period. All the hype and popularity has made a fish not caught in in the US a big money maker. There was no Sumatra, Borneo, ITT none of that and most people that look at a Dat couldn’t tell you anything otherwise. There were also no Albino, Orange, yellow, blue Oscars. For years Man has altered changed and put a name on everything from cars to horses and for what reason? Money $$$. Some guys spend their whole paycheck for a name that they were told was unique. If I see a Gold Datnoid it’s a Siamese Tiger. My first Dats stayed a dark color until they got settled in my tank and built up their confidence to swim around comfortably, Never heard of STABLE. Someone’s gonna figure out a way to make their stripes blue and glow in the dark and that will be the “NEW” Dat only caught in The Deep Waters of Saturn. Everything changes with time. Why can’t fish

Reactions: SBM and ryanmfk

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
There aren’t many wild photo(s) for Sumatran Datnoids from fishermen. I haven’t looked in a few years but nowadays with many having smart cell phones. A few ‘Wild Sumatran Caught’ photos should pop up. Almost everything is caught in Kalamantan Island. Which Borneo is in. Go through this post below for some Visuals and catch locales. ??

Reactions: Krismo962
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store