Can you find the difference between borneo & sumatra datnoid ?

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
This argument has been going around for a while now and most of the debates come down to stability. body shapes, color ect vary for each specimen, but the stability does seem to be a minor factor in discernment

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
This argument has been going around for a while now and most of the debates come down to stability. body shapes, color ect vary for each specimen, but the stability does seem to be a minor factor in discernment

Thang (Mr)

Feeder Fish
Sep 19, 2015
I add more identification of Sumatra kind:
- the end of fist bar is move toward the their head ( borneo is down straight )

INDK617

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2008
Portland, ME
I've kept alot of indo dats and they look quite stable when they are comfortable in an aquarium. Only commenting on this because I'm seeing these "Sumatra clean 4 bars" just now for sale for $120 when you can get an indo the same size for like $20. Most of the indos I've kept are awesome if you give them the proper setup and a little while to settle. I've also seen a bunch of indos with cool patterns.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
do they color up once comfortable?

Mine seems to color up when, changing water, feeding time and chasing each other..

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What is that photo supposed to be pointing out besides a stable dat and an unstable one?

Reactions: SBM and Lepisosteus

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Very tough to distinguish these two species. Similar to that of Florida vs spotted gars. If you really want to know, send me a scale from the sample in question and a scale from a known sample. I’ll have a friend of mine doing their PhD in the biology lab to do a genetics test. Hooefully it determines something for ya. Stability can’t be used as a determining factor. Neither can color/pattern as all of these vary greatly between specimens.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Maybe these are not even two distinct species. Could be a clinal species caused by minor geographic isolation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store