7 x2 x2 ...what to stock it with!?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Okay i understand, i did think that everything would be way to much for that size..it was just there was this beautiful RTGG at my fish store and it was so beautiful i think the thought of finally getting a monster sized fish tank excited me to much....out of the list what fish would stock?..or would you add/take any fish away? Thank you for all your advice!
With all due respect a 7x2x2 tank is not a monster tank. Hell, when i joined this forum i thought my two 180's were huge!! Now i realise they're just grow out tanks or maybe sumps!!! Joking aside though i'd take the RTGG and plec out the equation, as mentioned. I'm not going to pretend i'm familiar with the others on your list because i'm not. But i'm sure others will give you a few ideas.

taylor the beast

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2015
england
With all due respect a 7x2x2 tank is not a monster tank. Hell, when i joined this forum i thought my two 180's were huge!! Now i realise they're just grow out tanks or maybe sumps!!! Joking aside though i'd take the RTGG and plec out the equation, as mentioned. I'm not going to pretend i'm familiar with the others on your list because i'm not. But i'm sure others will give you a few ideas.
I know but compared to my 3.3ft 55 gal a 7ft 210 gal is a monsterly worthy upgrade in my mind ahah. But i do see your point... Do you know if any gars could go in the tank and if so what type? ...i dont really want anything to big ...as in a giant gourami maxed ..would look really crammed in the 7ft tank you get what i mean...as for example a chocolate gourami maxed is 25 cm and that would look nice and comfty :)..oh and i saw a silver arrowana..today at my LFS and the guy there said ..that the silver arrow and the redtail that was stocked in a 450 litre tank could go my 7ft tank..haha lmao!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I know but compared to my 3.3ft 55 gal a 7ft 210 gal is a monsterly worthy upgrade in my mind ahah. But i do see your point... Do you know if any gars could go in the tank and if so what type? ...i dont really want anything to big ...as in a giant gourami maxed ..would look really crammed in the 7ft tank you get what i mean...as for example a chocolate gourami maxed is 25 cm and that would look nice and comfty :)..oh and i saw a silver arrowana..today at my LFS and the guy there said ..that the silver arrow and the redtail that was stocked in a 450 litre tank could go my 7ft tank..haha lmao!
Choco gouramis are teensy lol, no idea where you got 25cm lol.

NIce tank man yeh my bichir does the same hahaha :)
Thanks, tank looks vastly different now but it's still growing in.

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
Yeh i know what you mean man, however the last thing i want to do is get some fish then 1 week 1 month 1 year down the line...they die or keep growing and growing thats all ...this is what i had in mind:
1 chocolate cichlid
3 urua cichlid
2 severum ( 1 G and 1 N)
1 sailfin pleco
1 angle fish
1 fire mouth
1 blue acara
4 rocket gar
1 sengal bichir
1 ornate bichir
1 nile bichir
4 pearl cichlid
1 giant gourami
1 syno hyprid
1 fire eel? ..i know they get pretty big tho
And thats what i have thought of so far any suggestions? Thank you
Ok, first of all congrats on the fairly large tank! You are doing the right thing by getting stocking suggestions. It seems you want to put all manner of fish in there, some of which can get to 2 feet easily. I do recommend that you trim the list down heavily.

Working from the list you have, here are some suggestions... You'll see that the stocking level is much more reasonable.

Option A (American cichlid) - 1 x chocolate, 1 x uaru, 2 x severum, 1 x firemouth, 1 x blue acara, 1 x geophagus, and maybe add green terror and electric blue jack dempsey

Option B - 3 x polypterus on your list and add a few more bichir PLUS fire eel. Senegal might get eaten. No synodontis as it may eat slime coat.

Option C - Giant gourami (or RTGG as others have mentioned) with SMALL, FAST schooling fish like tetras, rainbows or barbs

Put angelfish in own tank. Get rid of pleco.

Rocket gar are too jumpy for my taste, tank will need to be heavily planted and lighting subdued as they can jack up their beaks on the glass. If you really want to keep them you should probably get 4 more or so.

You haven't mentioned how you would filter this tank either, that is a very important factor in all this. A large sump may let you overstock a bit.

Reactions: taylor the beast

taylor the beast

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2015
england
Ok, first of all congrats on the fairly large tank! You are doing the right thing by getting stocking suggestions. It seems you want to put all manner of fish in there, some of which can get to 2 feet easily. I do recommend that you trim the list down heavily.

Working from the list you have, here are some suggestions... You'll see that the stocking level is much more reasonable.

Option A (American cichlid) - 1 x chocolate, 1 x uaru, 2 x severum, 1 x firemouth, 1 x blue acara, 1 x geophagus, and maybe add green terror and electric blue jack dempsey

Option B - 3 x polypterus on your list and add a few more bichir PLUS fire eel. Senegal might get eaten. No synodontis as it may eat slime coat.

Option C - Giant gourami (or RTGG as others have mentioned) with SMALL, FAST schooling fish like tetras, rainbows or barbs

Put angelfish in own tank. Get rid of pleco.

Rocket gar are too jumpy for my taste, tank will need to be heavily planted and lighting subdued as they can jack up their beaks on the glass. If you really want to keep them you should probably get 4 more or so.

You haven't mentioned how you would filter this tank either, that is a very important factor in all this. A large sump may let you overstock a bit.
Thanks man im so excited when its up and running i put up a video !and thank you so much for the tips and advice :)
To be honest i really like option A, but being abit cheeky is anything else i could add on the bottem maybe? and wont the green terror kill all of the other fish? Shall i add another big weight ..like a oscar, to even up the playing field?...or would that end up in a massacre??And i was planning on get a little sump filter and 2 exf 400 ?!?! Any ideas on filters? Thank you so much

Reactions: FishBeast
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store