Oscar, Jd, help!

Bryceporter510

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2017
I have a “blue gene” jd, and a albino tiger Oscar. Right now they both are housed in separate 55 gallon tanks, due to the fact that their both only about 5 inches long. My question is, could I house these fish together in a 120 or 125 or would they be constantly fighting? I had them together in one 55 for a day because the ac went out and had to move the Oscar out of 100 degree room. During that day the jd seemed to terrorize the oscar, even the the O is a good inch longer, and inch bigger around. Would I still have the same problem in 120 or 125?

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
I have a “blue gene” jd, and a albino tiger Oscar. Right now they both are housed in separate 55 gallon tanks, due to the fact that their both only about 5 inches long. My question is, could I house these fish together in a 120 or 125 or would they be constantly fighting? I had them together in one 55 for a day because the ac went out and had to move the Oscar out of 100 degree room. During that day the jd seemed to terrorize the oscar, even the the O is a good inch longer, and inch bigger around. Would I still have the same problem in 120 or 125?
In a 6ft 125 your chances are better. You may just have an Oscar that’s an ***. The 125 can also afford ya a little bioload space to afford distractions for the Oscar. Can try a male convict or 2 or mollies, but the O will get all your Mollies eventually.

Bryceporter510

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2017
In a 6ft 125 your chances are better. You may just have an Oscar that’s an ***. The 125 can also afford ya a little bioload space to afford distractions for the Oscar. Can try a male convict or 2 or mollies, but the O will get all your Mollies eventually.

I’m sorry but I think you read that wrong, the jd is the one that’s being mean

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
probbally going to happen in the 125 also some fish just don't get on the jd will be the aggressor Oscar are not as aggressive just big eating machines

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
I’m sorry but I think you read that wrong, the jd is the one that’s being mean
I did read it wrong but it holds true no matter which is the aggressor. Sooner or later the O will be much bigger than the JD and it’ll be the O doing the aggression. May or may not be compatible, alls you can do is try and be prepared to separate.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Whenever you add a new cichlid to a tank where another cichlid has established territory, the new guy will be at the short end of the stick, unless it realizes its strength.
So if you moved the oscar ro the JD tank, this is a normal reaction by the JD, to defend its territory.
If at some point you move them both to a new larger tank at the same time, then because no territorial lines have been already been established, it may work.
If you put one in a significantly earlier time than the other, the same problem may occur.
All cichlids set up invisible (to humans) territorial lines, that are generally respected if they both can work out a territory in a new space, at the same time.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
You might have the same problem or you might not. However, things might work out now, and then later on, months to years, things can go down south. You never know with cichlids until you try. Your best option is to add them at the same time and see what happens. I would also keep the 55g as a backup plan.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think an adult Oscar will fill a 125 on its own.
I would keep the Oscar as the only cichlid and maybe add a couple of suitably sized pleco or other armoured catfish.

Reactions: Rocksor

Bryceporter510

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2017
I did read it wrong but it holds true no matter which is the aggressor. Sooner or later the O will be much bigger than the JD and it’ll be the O doing the aggression. May or may not be compatible, alls you can do is try and be prepared to separate.
Need help, moved oscar to a 125 and he’s not eating and his fin looks to be deteriorating. I️ have left him alone for 2 days thinking he was acting weird cause of the new tank but notice the fin messed up. He’s now upside down heavily breathing. Help!!

04429A08-C397-47CE-A785-C27648C6F307.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store