75 Gallon Oddball Tank

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I've had my 75 G forever, but I've been thinking about redoing it, as far as fish species go. Right no, I have:
1 6.5 inch Hujeta/Rocket Gar
1 4 inch Payara (growin him out)
1 6.5 inch African Featherfin Cat
1 4 inch Jack Depsey
1 5 inch Gourami (Not a Giant, but I don't know what it is yet)

I'm planning on getting rid of the Dempsey, because she bullies the Gourami and occasionally, the Payara as well (we can't have that, now can we.) Otherwise, they all get along quite well. I'm in love with gar characins so I'm planning on getting more, but I also want a Yellowtail Barracuda.
Wishlist:
1 Endlicherii (how to spell it?) Polypterus
3-4 Mixed Gar Characins
1-2 Barracuda
Some sort of Knife Fish? I've had luck with African Browns before.
I also want another Rope Fish. Mine never tried to escape and lived for a very long time. He was sweet.
I don't intend on getting all of these, because the tank is only 75 gallons, but these have been on my list for a long time. :) Any tips on keeping any of the above fish?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would switch out the endli for a upper jaw. Smaller and less likely to eat ur other fish.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Upper jaws are Senegalus, p polli, palmas palmas,mokelemembe, retropinnis, buttikoferi, ornate, and teugelsi.

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Upper jaws are Senegalus, p polli, palmas palmas,mokelemembe, retropinnis, buttikoferi, ornate, and teugelsi.
Oh, I've never heard that whole group referred to like that. Is it because most of em have even bites? I have experience with this group so this should be fine - I love the Palmas ones, but have never seen em at my LFS...

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The lower jaw polys like endlicheri will get big.

The exception to the upper jaws are teugelsi and ornates which can get 24inches or a bit more.

Reactions: RocketGarStar

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The jaw shape. There a protrusion of the upper jaws for the smaller polys.

The lower jaws have the lower jaw more pronounced.

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
The lower jaw polys like endlicheri will get big.

The exception to the upper jaws are teugelsi and ornates which can get 24inches or a bit more.
Thank you so much for that. I'm super excited to start working on this project, haha. Just need money and a good place to buy from that has a bigger selection than my LFS. :)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you so much for that. I'm super excited to start working on this project, haha. Just need money and a good place to buy from that has a bigger selection than my LFS. :)
I think that’s what we all need lol!

Reactions: RocketGarStar
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store