Stressed Out Delhezi?

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
Hey guys, I've posted about my Delhezi being standoffish before and the problem was slightly alleviated when I added more bichirs to the tank (she was just housed with the albino senegal before, now there are two additional senegals, both smaller than her), but now she seems back to sulking. She also is very finicky about eating. She'll only eat tilapia, only at night, and only after she has sniffed it multiple times. Even then she only eats a couple pieces and ignores the rest. My water parameters are fine, temp stays between 75°F and 78°F, and everyone else seems happy. I tried making her a tunnel, but she just mashed herself between it and the glass... I tried turning down the lights because she is super active at night (she "paces" in front of the glass), but it didn't help? Maybe floating plants? I'm at a loss.20180919_113901.jpg 20180919_113815.jpg

Reactions: Matteus

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
I would say just give it time. Im not a bichir pro but i have a polli that took like half a year to get over beeing stand offish when i was in the room

Reactions: Matteus and kno4te

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
I’m sure with all that moss the delhezi is comfortable in there. Really likes it like a big fuzzy blanket lol.
Okay. Maybe it is normal. My albino is just such a friendly dork that I got concerned about her behavior in comparison. I'll keep an eye on her. I really hope she starts eating better though

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
I have 2 senegal, 2 delhezi (1 wc and 1 cb), 1 polli and 2 ropes. The 2 dels are easily the most stand offish. My CB del is also pretty finicky about eating. He maybe only joins in once a week or once every other week. Most of the time he just sits the feeding frenzy out.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Okay. I think I just worry too much. I haven't even had them a month yet. She's in front of the tank now. View attachment 1335837
I picked up my ornate in January I think, and it still bolts whenever I come near the tank. It used to be ok with me as long as I didn’t have the camera out, but lately if it sees me it’s like “peace I’m out”....

Reactions: tlindsey

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Senegals are generally the most active polys. Most other polys are more sedentary as a rule. You probably got used to the more unusual nature of the Sens. :) It's likely the Del will get more comfortable with time, but if not, it's not necessarily an indicator of anything being wrong.

In my experience floating plants seems to help relax many fish species, so if you can do that it certainly won't hurt.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store