Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
EDIT- go here:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/notice.710307/

=====≠==========

It has been brought to my attention (ad nauseam I might add) that there's a problem with misinformation being spread.

There's also a perceived problem with people being "mean" over this misinformation.

Let's be honest. This website earned its reputation as being a reliable archive of high quality information due to the utter lack of tolerance for BS information being spread. As an administrator of this website, that's exactly the type of image we want our site to have. We're not Facebook. While MFK does have the Lounge for enjoying unrelated conversation, the spreading of misinformation or half-truths has never really been tolerated.

And it won't be.

If you're posting something that's not entirely true, something sensationalist, something ridiculous, etc; you can expect to be called out for it. I may even be the one to do it. Such things degrade the quality of the website. Believe it or not, there are a lot of members here who deeply care about the qualitative nature of the content we share.

Myself included.

It's not exactly a secret that I've been largely absent for the past 18 months or so due to a pretty bad illness. Still though, I'm trying to work myself back into rotation to continue steering this site down the desired path. I will absolutely bend over backward to help members produce quality content, just ask Hendre Hendre about me and stickies. I will not tolerate the degradation of the quality of content that this site is known for however. We have a reputation to maintain, and I hold all of you accountable for contributing to that.

Please feel free to ask questions and utilize me to produce good content. In no way do I mean to stifle conversations here, but don't present yourself as an expert if you're not one.

Last edited:

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Bro I applaud you, I’ve been on many forums, met many people, but you are one stand up dude! You’ve been more than patience with half of the monkeys on this forum myself included! I salute you and will try to contribute more positive stuff my man:headbang2

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
just ask Hendre Hendre about me and stickies
Oh boy that was a process! But in the end you have a well polished product!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Well said Rob. No doubt I am one of the meanies of this site, but the reality is that no one gains anything from misinformation. I also think that most people do not realize how many non member lurkers come here for answers/solutions and information, and that these threads remain for years for the world to read. Sometimes a person has to call BS when they see it, or that misinformation will simply continue to be spread.

And on that note I recall late one night when a fellow member sent me a PM, and it simply said - "Your a dick!" My reply: "Thank you, but the correct use of the word is you're, not your." :)

Last edited:

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I was one of those lurkers when I got my first cichlid.
I can’t tell you all how much I appreciate the information here. I would have given up on fishkeeping if I hadn’t had the opportunity to learn proper cycling and care for my fish. The staff here is awesome and all the variety makes this place my hands down favorite go-to forum.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
It has been brought to my attention (ad nauseam I might add) that there's a problem with misinformation being spread.

There's also a perceived problem with people being "mean" over this misinformation.

Let's be honest. This website earned its reputation as being a reliable archive of high quality information due to the utter lack of tolerance for BS information being spread. As an administrator of this website, that's exactly the type of image we want our site to have. We're not Facebook. While MFK does have the Lounge for enjoying unrelated conversation, the spreading of misinformation or half-truths has never really been tolerated.

And it won't be.

If you're posting something that's not entirely true, something sensationalist, something ridiculous, etc; you can expect to be called out for it. I may even be the one to do it. Such things degrade the quality of the website. Believe it or not, there are a lot of members here who deeply care about the qualitative nature of the content we share.

Myself included.

It's not exactly a secret that I've been largely absent for the past 18 months or so due to a pretty bad illness. Still though, I'm trying to work myself back into rotation to continue steering this site down the desired path. I will absolutely bend over backward to help members produce quality content, just ask Hendre Hendre about me and stickies. I will not tolerate the degradation of the quality of content that this site is known for however. We have a reputation to maintain, and I hold all of you accountable for contributing to that.

Please feel free to ask questions and utilize me to produce good content. In no way do I mean to stifle conversations here, but don't present yourself as an expert if you're not one.
I think most of us respect that. Ive been given bad info in the past. I realize not every bit of info given or gained is 100% correct all the time and its nice to know someone is watching and helping to minimize when it's not. Thank you.

Well said Rob. No doubt I am one of the meanies of this site, but the reality is that no one gains anything from misinformation. I also think that most people do not realize how many non member lurkers come here for answers/solutions and information, and that these threads remain for years for the world to read. Sometimes a person has to call BS when they see it, or that misinformation will simply continue to be spread.

And on that note I recall late one night when a fellow member sent me a PM, and it simply said - "Your a dick!" My reply: "Thank you, but the correct use of the word is you're, not your." :)
That sir is a perfect example! Im still giggling about it. Wonder if said member even got it.......

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I think that every forum goes through seasonal growing pains, often when a surge of young & upcoming members join the ranks. I saw a LOT of this when I was lurking in 2005/2006, to the point that I began thinking that this was a site for big fish wannabe kids. I was a mod on a well known cichlid forum prior to joining here so I had seen my share of members come and go, and the trials & tribulations that go with running a larger forum.

There were a lot of quality posts here on MFK, but they seemed overshadowed by kids that were constantly talking smack. Just stupid stuff, but it became a pain wading through the babbling of obvious inexperience, to get to the quality comments from people that I later came to respect as peers, and then some. I still miss people like Chris cchhcc, or Reagan, guys who walked the talk, and left their ego at the door.

Jumping forward to current day MFK, I have grandkids now, so I love to see the excitement of youth, but at the same time I also remember being taught by my parents to always respect your elders. No one is trying to stifle the thoughts of the younger members here, every site needs to grow to remain successful, but maybe just stop and take a moment before you make that next post, and ask yourself this: Am I speaking from personal experience, as in I have personally done this, seen this, or have a close local friend who has done this successfully - or is this just something that I read on Facebook, or saw on youtube, or dug up via google. And now ima gonna argu with the big dog.

I believe this is what has been causing the most angst lately here on MFK. I don't try to tell people how best to keep a Mako Shark in captivity, because I have zero experience in that area. So I stick to posting about things that I actually do know, and that I do have experience in, which over time generally becomes greater and greater. So to some of our younger/newer members here I offer this - just give it some time, and for now stick to what you actually have experience in. The rest of the time act as a sponge and absorb everything that you can from those that have already been there, and done that. Even at my age I still learn something new every day.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I used to be one of those kids :banhim:

Now my post count drops drastically as school kicks in and I'm hoping that my information and experience is a bit more thorough.

Enough about myself, I've seen some very knowledgeable people rising up out of the woodwork :D

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
maybe just stop and take a moment before you make that next post, and ask yourself this: Am I speaking from personal experience, as in I have personally done this, seen this, or have a close local friend who has done this successfully - or is this just something that I read on Facebook, or saw on youtube, or dug up via google. And now ima gonna argu with the big dog.

I believe this is what has been causing the most angst lately here on MFK.
This. ALL OF THIS.

By no means do I want to scare off the new members or try to tell them to stfu. I just want our newer members to think about what they're saying before they say it. Hendre Hendre is the perfect example of a younger, new member popping up and actually paying attention to whats going on. Almost three years ago when he showed up, he was quite inexperienced. He stayed humble however, and has learned quite a bit in the process. I am very impressed with that young man's character and intellect, to the point where I'm currently in the process of authoring a thread that references his name.

The old dogs on this forum appreciate the energy that this latest round of new members has brought to the table. If you new guys are posting half-truths and speculation however, it's going to be resisted by the folks who have been in the culture of this community for a long time. It's not a personal attack at YOU, we simply care about the site and what it stands for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store