Help ID this Geophagus please!

Hélder Duarte

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2017
Hello everyone, I got 4[1jumped out and passed away :(] geophagus labeled as geophagus tapajos red head. It was like 8months ago and they were probably 3/4months old.
The thing is I already had a couple 4years ago and they were a lot light color and with more red and orange than this ones, and I dont do idea what species can it be.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hélder Duarte

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2017
And the whole aquarium is a mess, they started digging 2month ago, and now those two paired together(maybe a couple?) And made a big fortress...
And since I did had fertile substrate beneath the substrate, they mixed it all. And now I cant keep with the algae problems...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
And the whole aquarium is a mess, they started digging 2month ago, and now those two paired together(maybe a couple?) And made a big fortress...
And since I did had fertile substrate beneath the substrate, they mixed it all. And now I cant keep with the algae problems...

They are Geophagus Redhead Tapajos. The Redhead Tapajos are substrate sifters so please forgive them for doing what they do naturally.

Hélder Duarte

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2017
They are Geophagus Redhead Tapajos. The Redhead Tapajos are substrate sifters so please forgive them for doing what they do naturally.
Hm really? One of them is getting a bump I think in the head, can they be a pair?

Oh I dont mind they do that, and I like watching them building and defending their big hole.
But I will probably remove all the substrate and try to clean all the algae and buy a new simple substrate

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hm really? One of them is getting a bump I think in the head, can they be a pair?

Oh I dont mind they do that, and I like watching them building and defending their big hole.
But I will probably remove all the substrate and try to clean all the algae and buy a new simple substrate
The males will develop a nuchial hump. Also recommend sand for substrate.

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com