Sco7i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2019
Hi there. This is my first post, so I don’t know if it’s in the right category or not?! Lol

I’m looking to start up a project. I’m looking to selectively breed a ‘Super’ Red Tiger Cichlid, keeping the pattern of the RTM, but breeding the reds of the Red Terror into it. Once/ if, I can achieve this, I intend to cross some fry over with some Jaguar Cichlids. Sticking to the same methods of selectively breeding the Jaguar pattern, but introducing the reds of the RTM/ RT (Super Red Tiger). I’m hoping that because the ‘Super Red Tiger’ I intend to breed will still have a lot of the original patterning of the Red Tiger, which is originally very similar to the Jaguar Cichlid’s, this shouldn’t prove too difficult, in theory?! Hopefully creating what I intend to call the ‘ManU’ (manoo) Jaguar Cichlid (MJC). Named after my home town Manchester (United).

The reason I’m posting this thread is to look for previous information on similar past projects that others may have already done, and for you to share your experience(s).

Also, I’m looking for fellow aquarists that may be interested in my project, and may even want a piece of the action. I will be more than willing to send fry to people willing to help with the project, ONLY for the cost of shipment, of course.

Thanks

2E3C467E-B720-4C02-829C-228A5A02CF0C.jpeg

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Man I wish I had the space to help with this project. RT and RTM are 2 of my dream fish. I can't wait til I can retire and not have to move around every 3-4 years. Once I settle down in one forever home, I'll be able to have big tanks again.

Reactions: Sco7i

Sco7i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2019
Man I wish I had the space to help with this project. RT and RTM are 2 of my dream fish. I can't wait til I can retire and not have to move around every 3-4 years. Once I settle down in one forever home, I'll be able to have big tanks again.
I’ve got 10 Jags, 10 RT, and 10 RTM coming in the next 2 week. I also know a guy with all 3 that is expecting fry any time now, from all 3. That will be 2 different lines of DNA, so I can eventually breed 2 separate F1 lines together.
This will take a while, so if you get the chance for some fry let me know lol

Reactions: bobblehead27

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
I’ve got 10 Jags, 10 RT, and 10 RTM coming in the next 2 week. I also know a guy with all 3 that is expecting fry any time now, from all 3. That will be 2 different lines of DNA, so I can eventually breed 2 separate F1 lines together.
This will take a while, so if you get the chance for some fry let me know lol
Will do. But doubtful. Still have 12 years before I can retire.

Sco7i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2019
I think I’m going to call my RTM x Festae hybrids ‘Red Tigors’ (Tiger x Terror)

Sco7i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2019
So it begins!
I’ve got x10 RTM fry,
X8 Jag fry,
X7 Festae fry!!
Algae is going a bit crazy so I’ve had to get some Nerite snails and Plecos, they’ve survived the first night. So too have the RT survived their second night with the bigger jags. They seem to act like dither fish, not seen any aggression between the 2, apart from the odd short charge away from their cave.

Reactions: Thelatinofishlover

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Good luck. As you probably know pairing them up with their own species often ends in shredded fish. Pairing them up with females from another species is even harder. Not sure if the others can withstand what a Red Tiger can easily dish out. Will follow to see the progress you make.

Fwaka

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2012
Ohio
I’d be interested in helping with this!! I have the tank space, if you still have this project going let me know!?

Carter020108

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2018
I would crops festae with red tiger nota so you have a very red fish then cross that to a jag if you want the most red

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store