Odd Aggression Behaviour.

agent1207

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Over the course of a year absolutely no violent behaviour from the Jaguar Cichlid, until a couple of days ago where the Jaguar cichlid would non-stop continually attack an Oscar. The Oscar is now separated to allow it to heal.

This is where the odd behaviour part of the question begins.

I recently added a peacock bass approximately a month ago, and during this whole non-stop battering between the Jaguar cichlid on the Oscar I had noticed that the peacock bass was closely following the Jaguar cichlid.

Is that normal? Or is the reason for aggression to prove that its the Alpha? The Oscar was so torn up the worst I have ever had a fish and that only took place over the course of 8 hours or so until I could separate them.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Over the course of a year absolutely no violent behaviour from the Jaguar Cichlid, until a couple of days ago where the Jaguar cichlid would non-stop continually attack an Oscar. The Oscar is now separated to allow it to heal.

This is where the odd behaviour part of the question begins.

I recently added a peacock bass approximately a month ago, and during this whole non-stop battering between the Jaguar cichlid on the Oscar I had noticed that the peacock bass was closely following the Jaguar cichlid.

Is that normal? Or is the reason for aggression to prove that its the Alpha? The Oscar was so torn up the worst I have ever had a fish and that only took place over the course of 8 hours or so until I could separate them.
To me it sounds like the jag and the pbass might have paired up and if that's the case that would explain the aggression. A fish wanting to breed will easily become 10x more aggressive towards tank mates. It's not too unusual for 2 different species to pair up together if there is none of the same specie in the tank. Sometimes it even happens when ya do have multiple of the same specie in the same tank, sometimes they just want something a lil more "exotic" lol. To me this just seems like the jag and bass decided that they might want to breed with one another, probably because of them having a similar body type to one another, and sadly the odd man out has got to go for em to get busy with it.

It would be really neat and interesting to see if they do breed and, if they can, what they would make as a result of it. But I doubt they will be able to get them to be fertile at all even if they do breed together.

agent1207

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
maybe he is trying to prove dominance? what tank size?
:)
225 Gallon Aquarium, the aquarium still looks empty with these fish in it.

The fish are all of similar length at around 9" but Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane mentioned a good point about body shape, yeah the Oscars body shape is different whereas the Jaguar Cichlid and Peacock bass are very similar at their stages in size.

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
225 Gallon Aquarium, the aquarium still looks empty with these fish in it.

The fish are all of similar length at around 9" but Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane mentioned a good point about body shape, yeah the Oscars body shape is different whereas the Jaguar Cichlid and Peacock bass are very similar at their stages in size.
yea he proved a good point, can they breed?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
yea he proved a good point, can they breed?
I don't think they can, never heard of anyone crossing them before, but ya never know. Sometimes weird things can happen. Never heard of anybody breeding a pbass outside its own family before but if it does happen and it does work, extremely low odds of both of those happening, it would be neat to see what traits the fry would end up with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store