Black Ghost and Plant Compatibility

aidenboyjon

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2021
Japan
So I have narrowed it down to these two and I am thinking of doing both. Visibility of the whole tank isn't an issue. I want to make it thick by using background plants that grow large as center and foreground plants. I Asked here once before for plant recommendations that can use sand as a substrate without fertilizers, low lightning, warm, and no Co2. So I have found my best options may be Hornwort and Hygrophila. My question is, since black ghosts are a skin fish, would Hornwort be too dangerous for them as it could cut them? Or are they less delicate that I expect them to be? Is there a better large growing plant that could simulate a sort of jungle seaweed feel while being within the parameters I have?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I have narrowed it down to these two and I am thinking of doing both. Visibility of the whole tank isn't an issue. I want to make it thick by using background plants that grow large as center and foreground plants. I Asked here once before for plant recommendations that can use sand as a substrate without fertilizers, low lightning, warm, and no Co2. So I have found my best options may be Hornwort and Hygrophila. My question is, since black ghosts are a skin fish, would Hornwort be too dangerous for them as it could cut them? Or are they less delicate that I expect them to be? Is there a better large growing plant that could simulate a sort of jungle seaweed feel while being within the parameters I have?
I personally would go with Amazon Swords.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Most plants should be safe with a BGK.

Reactions: aidenboyjon

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
No ferts, swords and val won't do the best. Hornwort won't hurt a bgk. If the substrate has been around a bit val might survive but probably won't thrive. Best plants would be plants that can pull nitrate and ammonia out of the water column not such heavy root feeder. Anacharis works pretty well in my fry grow outs just floating.

aidenboyjon

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2021
Japan
No ferts, swords and val won't do the best. Hornwort won't hurt a bgk. If the substrate has been around a bit val might survive but probably won't thrive. Best plants would be plants that can pull nitrate and ammonia out of the water column not such heavy root feeder. Anacharis works pretty well in my fry grow outs just floating.
From what I've read though, Anacharis won't work with my temp. My tank naturally rises to between 78* and 82*, unless anacharis can do just fine in higher than 78*.

Reactions: tlindsey

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
From what I've read though, Anacharis won't work with my temp. My tank naturally rises to between 78* and 82*, unless anacharis can do just fine in higher than 78*.
sorry to contradict but swords would not show immense growth without ferts but it can very well survive without them.

Reactions: aidenboyjon
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store