Fish attacking bichir b- hole

BreeFrost

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2020
Southern California
Ok laugh, but seriously. My barbs have been relentlessly biting my bichirs on the cloaca. Even after being fed to satiation, they keep doing it! Im worried this is going to lead to injury and infection. I noticed it for the first time last night. Has anyone ever dealt with this? Do I need to get rid of my barbs?

BreeFrost

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2020
Southern California
How many bichirs do you have? I know when my female Senegal is gravid the male goes nuts because he enjoys eating the eggs.
3 total
Senegal female >2 years
Albino female >3 years
Delhezi male >1 year recently matured

I have only seen them biting the two females! Should I just separate them for a while? Or is it an ongoing problem?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I cant tell if youre being funny or serious lol I was referring the delhezi x senegal
But thanks! Do bichirs spawn constantly or is it seasonal?
Normally seasonal but captive bred Senegal can become triggered with cooler wc's. No was serious but yes possible for 2 different species of polypterus to breed.

BreeFrost

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2020
Southern California
Normally seasonal but captive bred Senegal can become triggered with cooler wc's. No was serious but yes possible for 2 different species of polypterus to breed.
Forsure haha. Yeah, I wouldnt doubt that there’s some people in this world who think a dolphin could make babies with a shark

Whoa! Thats amazing! Ill research this weekend. Thank you so much for your help, Ive separated the fish for now.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store