330 gallon setup and sump build

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
lol I'll take the bad English any day! But that's what I was planning on doing. Figured once everything is up and running I'll look for another power supply and controller to see if it's worth it

Awesome would love to see that setup. You have a window in your basement to put the hose out of?

I'll do a search today and look for it. And technically the pump is a 12000 as the guy said. The 9000/12000 are both the same exact pump. Only difference is the sticker they put on and the power supply they send it with. Your really just paying for the different power supply when you think about it
Yup out the window.
Hah, have them drill a whole for bulkhead and add a strainer. If you end up getting components to use the spare pump to drain the tank you could incorporate to your plumbing. I T'ed my closed loop circulation, added a ball valve to redirect the water to drain using my clc pump. You would just have a dedicated pump in this case. Add a quick connect tank plumbing so it's a matter of just connecting a hose to drain to sink or outside.
Woyld have loved to do something like this but i dont have a drain other than the toilet, bathtub, or sump pump area and didnt want to put a strain on my septic tanks or sump pit so up and out the window it goes !

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Hah, have them drill a whole for bulkhead and add a strainer. If you end up getting components to use the spare pump to drain the tank you could incorporate to your plumbing. I T'ed my closed loop circulation, added a ball valve to redirect the water to drain using my clc pump. You would just have a dedicated pump in this case. Add a quick connect tank plumbing so it's a matter of just connecting a hose to drain to sink or outside.
Thats was my idea from the beginning but the builder talked me out of it lol. Second guessing it now

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Yup out the window.
Woyld have loved to do something like this but i dont have a drain other than the toilet, bathtub, or sump pump area and didnt want to put a strain on my septic tanks or sump pit so up and out the window it goes !
Me too Jaws; I still need to connect a hose and expel to sink or outside. Since I had clc system, my bro-in-law recommended it and glad I did it. Still really helpful.

OP, here's a visual, you would just have the single line that you see in the picture with the connector to the left in the picture. No need for T'ing.
20170423_203936.jpg

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Me too Jaws; I still need to connect a hose and expel to sink or outside. Since I had clc system, my bro-in-law recommended it and glad I did it. Still really helpful.

OP, here's a visual, you would just have the single line that you see in the picture with the connector to the left in the picture. No need for T'ing.
View attachment 1254799
That setup is way to clean. It doesn't even look like it's been used! But that's a good idea. Maybe I'll shoot the builder an email to check in. Can you take a picture of the strainer in the tank and where it's located for me so I can see? I know what it should look like just need to see location

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I do my water changes with one of my spare pumps that I got to originally run my tank. They ended up being too loud for my liking, which is why I switched to my DCP pumps. However, I still kept them and they do a great job at draining my 220. It's a 1290gph pump and it can drain my tank down to fin level in 6-8 minutes. I simply have it hooked up to 1" vinyl tubing and pump it out onto my driveway. I use the same pump and tubing to pump water from my aging barrels back into the tank.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

View attachment 1254799
Yup that was the plan originally. Wouls have had it plumbed to a ball valve and connected the hose and drained it into the bathroom but was told i would probably overwhelm my septic tanks

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
That setup is way to clean. It doesn't even look like it's been used! But that's a good idea. Maybe I'll shoot the builder an email to check in. Can you take a picture of the strainer in the tank and where it's located for me so I can see? I know what it should look like just need to see location
LOL...it's definitely used...it's my closed loop circulation. I dont have any close up of the bulkhead w/strainers, but here is a picture where you see on the bottom left - zoom in. I have connected ABS T with two strainers. Keep in mind it also serves as an intake for cls, and the other end you'll see the locline output. You could place essentially anywhere really and hide around some decorations if you dont like the exposed look. You could even drill from the back if you dont like the bottom.

20170521_170827.jpg

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
LOL...it's definitely used...it's my closed loop circulation. I dont have any close up of the bulkhead w/strainers, but here is a picture where you see on the bottom left - zoom in. I have connected ABS T with two strainers. Keep in mind it also serves as an intake for cls, and the other end you'll see the locline output. You could place essentially anywhere really and hide around some decorations if you dont like the exposed look. You could even drill from the back if you dont like the bottom.

View attachment 1254811
Nice looking tank very clean and fish look healthy. I would probably put the strainer on the back wall and do one of those flat ones kind of like what Travis has for his overflow system that he rigged up so that it's flush on the back wall and I won't see it.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Nice looking tank very clean and fish look healthy. I would probably put the strainer on the back wall and do one of those flat ones kind of like what Travis has for his overflow system that he rigged up so that it's flush on the back wall and I won't see it.
Thanks.That works...the bulkhead with low profile strainer. Wont be too bad especially with dark background. I run underneath as i didnt want to expose piping on any side.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store