330 gallon setup and sump build

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I'm not sure what plumbing supplies run on Amazon but I have got most of my plumbing supplies from PVC Parts Direct (I think that's their name). They have really good prices and they have a lot of options in black for the stuff that you plan on having inside the tank.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
about to order a ton of plumbing supplies off amazon. I do have a question about the return connection from the pumps. I will need to have a threaded adapter from the pump to the swing check. The checks I am looking at have unions attached to them. Do these look ok?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B95UT9M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

How does the adapter from the pump attach to the union?
Is the check valve union a slip? If you use a threaded connector to the pump outlet that has slip, you could use pvc pipe to connect the two. Since it's within sump you may not need to glue. If not, youll have to glue.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
I'm not sure what plumbing supplies run on Amazon but I have got most of my plumbing supplies from PVC Parts Direct (I think that's their name). They have really good prices and they have a lot of options in black for the stuff that you plan on having inside the tank.
Ill take a look over there I havent heard of them before

Is the check valve union a slip? If you use a threaded connector to the pump outlet that has slip, you could use pvc pipe to connect the two. Since it's within sump you may not need to glue. If not, youll have to glue.
amazons description says its a slip fitting so hopefully it truly is lol. And would I need a pipe or a coupler? This is where I need to see it in my hand to understand what I have to do and its hard trying to think of it of the top of my head. Walked around the plumbing section in home depot for a little while yesterday just to get a feel of what I am going to need

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Ill take a look over there I havent heard of them before

amazons description says its a slip fitting so hopefully it truly is lol. And would I need a pipe or a coupler? This is where I need to see it in my hand to understand what I have to do and its hard trying to think of it of the top of my head. Walked around the plumbing section in home depot for a little while yesterday just to get a feel of what I am going to need
Yes, it can be hard to visualize. Case in point, it occurred to me that the pump outlet is likely not 1.5", hence you'll also need to add a coupler that reduces to the size of the outlet. You could go check valve --> use pvc piece to connect to --> 1.5" coupler reduced to 1.X"--> use pvc piece to connect to threaded coupler to pump outlet. It's reads more complicated than it really is doing LOL.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Yes, it can be hard to visualize. Case in point, it occurred to me that the pump outlet is likely not 1.5", hence you'll also need to add a coupler that reduces to the size of the outlet. You could go check valve --> use pvc piece to connect to --> 1.5" coupler reduced to 1.X"--> use pvc piece to connect to threaded coupler to pump outlet. It's reads more complicated than it really is doing LOL.
I am really glad that you pointed out that the check valve i shared was 1.5" cause I am doing a 1" return so that could have been a pain lol. I cant think of the size of the pump outlet off the top of my head but I think I will need a reducer somewhere? From the pump to the check valve seems the most complicated to me for some reason. Should be very easy just needed to see the fittings and then it will click in my head

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Good idea with the union check valves im pretty sure i reduced coming off the pump the glued a small length if pvc to the slip end of the check and so on.

Will take a pic later

I got most of my plumbing supplies from HD and lowes generic crap like union, pipes, ect ect everything else like loc line, black pvc and valves i went with www.flexpvc.com the guy i think mark is aqwesome actually helped me figure out all of the the fittings i needed for my returns

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
IMG_3003.JPG

That's what you had. Looks like an female adapter, pvc, adapter, check?

But yea I'm doing the same thing. I'm going to try running hoses though to make it easier to disassemble in the future to move so I'll try and come up with a picture of what I'm thinking tomorrow. Basically going to be a hose from the siphon bulkhead to the ball valves then all pvc like you have. Edrain is all pvc. And then I'll have hose from the swing check to the 90 elbow back into the tank. Figured I'd test it out. In the future when I know I'm done moving I'm going to do everything in solid pipe.

But how do you like your returns? I'm debating the rotating eductor to try and get flow throughout while not being so intrusive in the tank since I want to minimize its presence?

Good idea with the union check valves im pretty sure i reduced coming off the pump the glued a small length if pvc to the slip end of the check and so on.

Will take a pic later

I got most of my plumbing supplies from HD and lowes generic crap like union, pipes, ect ect everything else like loc line, black pvc and valves i went with www.flexpvc.com the guy i think mark is aqwesome actually helped me figure out all of the the fittings i needed for my returns

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I am really glad that you pointed out that the check valve i shared was 1.5" cause I am doing a 1" return so that could have been a pain lol. I cant think of the size of the pump outlet off the top of my head but I think I will need a reducer somewhere? From the pump to the check valve seems the most complicated to me for some reason. Should be very easy just needed to see the fittings and then it will click in my head
Read my post again, I basically gave you the order of the connected parts. Yes if the outlet is smaller you will need to reduce. That's called out above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store