55 gallon tank(btw I'm loving the new update so much easier to make threads)

Mokles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2019
Hello aquarium hobbyists! I have a 55-gallon tank with an Oscar, belly crawler pike cichlid and bichir. All of these fish are somewhere from 4-5 inches. I am planning on removing the Senegal Bichir because it stopped eating. My thinking behind this is that it shares the tank with two very greedy cichlids and therefore no longer puts the effort in trying to get food. I read somewhere that bichirs can go a LOOONG time without food and still be fine. So I do believe that my bichir is in a tight situation and is pretty much given up on life. (maybe an exaggeration)

Before anyone says anything about "overstocking" or I am a "fish hitler" or whatever, I want to politely include that I will be getting 125 at the end of this summer around August. I am currently taking out the tiles in my basement so I can place the stand. I doubt my Oscar will hit 18 inches in a couple of months. I would also like to ask if any experienced oscar keepers can give me insight on what the actual adult size of an Oscar is. Everyone keeps saying they grow 16-18 max. However, I have spoken to two experienced Oscar guys, who have kept countless Oscars (according to them, one of them is my uncle) and they tell me they really dont get anywhere above a foot. I would love to see some data and possibly pictures. Anyways, I plan on getting the 125 regardless of which fish gets to which size because I plan on keeping sun catfish (which also get to a foot) and a 55 is obviously a no no.

I am also curious to know any what fish can go with an Oscar and Pike Cichlid. Something that is not too big and not to small, somehting like 5-6 inch fish that loves acidic water (mine is 6.0). I was thinking any species of gouramis? Please let me know I would love to take comments and suggestions.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello aquarium hobbyists! I have a 55-gallon tank with an Oscar, belly crawler pike cichlid and bichir. All of these fish are somewhere from 4-5 inches. I am planning on removing the Senegal Bichir because it stopped eating. My thinking behind this is that it shares the tank with two very greedy cichlids and therefore no longer puts the effort in trying to get food. I read somewhere that bichirs can go a LOOONG time without food and still be fine. So I do believe that my bichir is in a tight situation and is pretty much given up on life. (maybe an exaggeration)

Before anyone says anything about "overstocking" or I am a "fish hitler" or whatever, I want to politely include that I will be getting 125 at the end of this summer around August. I am currently taking out the tiles in my basement so I can place the stand. I doubt my Oscar will hit 18 inches in a couple of months. I would also like to ask if any experienced oscar keepers can give me insight on what the actual adult size of an Oscar is. Everyone keeps saying they grow 16-18 max. However, I have spoken to two experienced Oscar guys, who have kept countless Oscars (according to them, one of them is my uncle) and they tell me they really dont get anywhere above a foot. I would love to see some data and possibly pictures. Anyways, I plan on getting the 125 regardless of which fish gets to which size because I plan on keeping sun catfish (which also get to a foot) and a 55 is obviously a no no.

I am also curious to know any what fish can go with an Oscar and Pike Cichlid. Something that is not too big and not to small, somehting like 5-6 inch fish that loves acidic water (mine is 6.0). I was thinking any species of gouramis? Please let me know I would love to take comments and suggestions.

Jexnell Jexnell

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

Mokles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2019
im thinking gouramis or silver dollars ( the smaller ones that get 6 inch)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store