75 gallon Firemouth species only Tank

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
Bit of humor to be had. I plan to get firemouths which like to redecorate, whelp i don’t have em yet so someone in the 75 took it upon themself (themselves?) to move one of the banana plants away from the front while i was asleep.image.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Probably one of the larger swordtails.

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
Got an oddball question for you all, one of the females gave birth to a bunch of babies, the strongest are surviving and thriving. Have one fry that is an oddball color from the rest i figure maybe the female was in with a red/orange male at some point before i got her, fast forward a little and i get another batch of fry i think from one of the other females, it coulda been the same female again same oddball colors in an aquarium with all skyblue swordtails have one larger fry and like 3 smaller fry all displaying an orange/red look. All other fry are blueish to purpleish depending on how the light hits, there something odd going on here or what?.. i got my Nikon d80 up and going again I’ll try to focus in on the fry.

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
CSC_0090.JPGon this one is one of the oddballs, you notice the blue on the face but the rest of the body is a red/orange (pardon the how dark the photos look on all 3, getting used to taking photos with this thing again.)CSC_0087.JPGthis is one of the older fry all blue like the parents.CSC_0092.JPGthis one might just be the lighting but I can see it is orange/red outside of the photo.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
could just be genetic variation in line-bred swordtails. i know when ive had guppies in the past theyve thrown some crazy color offspring

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
Makes sense, Atlas the male in my 55 shot off size-wise early too at around the same time, Min is still on the small side. So many swordtail babies right now going from to about the same side as the baby plecos to ittybitty.

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
Purchased 6 fire mouths that should be arriving tomorrow, very excited. My mom also got a fry tank setup for the swords, I may put a divider in it and have it as a dual fry tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store