96 x 30 x 24 Tank and Arowana Species

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
That's great news too because I really love the look of Silvers and Blacks. Love those long fins on the bottom of their bellies. Not sure what they're called.

And are Arowanas like Piraya in that most get to a certain size like 14" and if you're lucky you can get one that gets bigger to maybe 18" or so? (I mean 14" and 18" for Piraya not Arowana) Or is it more common to reach those bigger sizes?
They are definitely not like Piraya haha. They definitely can and do reach sizes close to 30" in captivity, with 36" being a remarkable specimen. I have seen one that was just shy of 38" in a 1000G in door pond. Because they have great turning ability, the confines of the tank width dont hamper their growth as much as other fish. At least thats my educated guess, but they have no problem growing quite large. Id say your tank is at the very cusp of whats acceptable for a generic sized arowana for life

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Arowana's extreme flexibility is not an excuse to keep it in a tank that's as wide as the fish is long. In my book. You can try and learn for yourself. Arowana swim all the time, never ever stop. They will not like the small space and will keep jumping until they jump out or injure or kill themselves.

2' arowana will not be happy in a 2' wide tank like 8x2x2, not in 8x2.5x2 either. Even 8x4x2 is barely adequate for a 2', too small for 3'. Try it and learn firsthand the hard way, I have no problem with it. Live and let live. Be prepared to rehome though, if you get lucky and the fish will grant you some time to accomplish just that.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Arowana's extreme flexibility is not an excuse to keep it in a tank that's as wide as the fish is long. In my book. You can try and learn for yourself. Arowana swim all the time, never ever stop. They will not like the small space and will keep jumping until they jump out or injure or kill themselves.

2' arowana will not be happy in a 2' wide tank like 8x2x2, not in 8x2.5x2 either. Even 8x4x2 is barely adequate for a 2', too small for 3'. Try it and learn firsthand the hard way, I have no problem with it. Live and let live. Be prepared to rehome though, if you get lucky and the fish will grant you some time to accomplish just that.
Shouldn't the stickies be changed then? I had read that Jardinis get to a max size of 24" and that they can be housed in a 96 x 30 x 24 on the stickies.

As well, how long would it take a Jardini to reach max size? Would it take 10 years?

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
So an Asian Arowana wouldn't work in a 9x3x3?
Guess I'll give up on that idea then.
Have you actually seen a 24” Asian arowana? I haven’t. But a 9x3x3 is comfortable for an Asian arowana. Most aros besides the silver and black would be comfortable in a tank that large.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
So an Asian Arowana wouldn't work in a 9x3x3?
Guess I'll give up on that idea then.
It was already pointed out to you in another thread that Asian Arowana rarely if ever get 36" in captivity, and that (as Dloks also says) they're usually closer to ~24". After that they mostly just get thicker (which bear in mind somewhat reduces their turn radius). LFS has a beautiful adult Super Red that's about 20-22" long and as thick or thicker than a well built guy's forearm.

Reactions: The-Almighty-Zugs

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
It was already pointed out to you in another thread that Asian Arowana rarely if ever get 36" in captivity, and that (as Dloks also says) they're usually closer to ~24". After that they mostly just get thicker (which bear in mind somewhat reduces their turn radius). LFS has a beautiful adult Super Red that's about 20-22" long and as thick or thicker than a well built guy's forearm.
Do Jardinis get thicker as well? I'm thinking that after the Piraya I'll grow out a Jardini and if it becomes to cramped in a 96 x 30 x 24 then I would rehome if I had too. Although as with everything I've been hearing a lot of different opinions on if a Jardini can be housed in a 30"/2.5' width tank anyway. Some say it's more than fine, others say it's not.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Can we rewind and go back a few threads because you're travelling at the speed of light here. I'm going dizzy.

It all started off with your 96x24x24 tank which you haven't even had built yet. Then you needed advice on whether the tank could go on a 2nd floor when you move apartments next year.

So that's a tank that you don't even have yet, going in an apartment that you don't even own yet.

Then you bring up the subject of keeping a piraya in this non existent tank. That subject was talked to death only for you to then start going on about a GG in your yet to be made tank. And now the arowana is getting dragged into the discussion!

Honestly, I don't know whether i'm coming or going.:duh:

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Can we rewind and go back a few threads because you're travelling at the speed of light here. I'm going dizzy.

It all started off with your 96x24x24 tank which you haven't even had built yet. Then you needed advice on whether the tank could go on a 2nd floor when you move apartments next year.

So that's a tank that you don't even have yet, going in an apartment that you don't even own yet.

Then you bring up the subject of keeping a piraya in this non existent tank. That subject was talked to death only for you to then start going on about a GG in your yet to be made tank. And now the arowana is getting dragged into the discussion!

Honestly, I don't know whether i'm coming or going.:duh:
Hes just excited I think! Lol getting as much info he can about diff species... one thing I know from my own experience is you always wanna try more fish... different fish... and it almost never works out.. so in one way ya his threads clash with one another like crazy but I also kind of understand.... now! If he doesnt even end up getting this said tank... ends up deleting his account cause he doesnt even end up in the hobby because of whatever circumstance.... thatd be upsetting lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store