Am I doing this right?!?

DannielR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2016
Philippines
I really wanted to take care of fish. But because of Lack of money, I wasn't able to start. But now that I got a job, so I decided to start.

I got a 25 gallon aquarium, with a larger base than right. Bought some plastic plants, some white natural sand from the beach and some pebbles or very small rocks also from the beach. Some drift wood that I held down with rocks, cause they keep floating. Got a heater. Got an overhead filter.
At one of my LFS, one species caught my eye. They said it'll be fine with my current set up so I got them.

I bought 3 polypteruses, an endlicherri, an ornate and one that even they didn't know the species. I can't seem to find the fish. Gonna post a pic and can someone please tell me the name. They're all about 5 to 6 inches now. i've been feeding them pellets, but they seem not to eat much. The heater is set at 30°C but the thermostat only registers about 27° to 29°.

I live in a small town and the LFS here aren't that reliable given that they don't even know what species they were selling me.

Please help.

Is the tank size enough? What is best to feed them? Is the temperature fine? IMG_20161106_214413.jpg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
also the pictured poly looks like a washed out delhezi but I suck at ID'ing polys

DannielR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2016
Philippines
not live, frozen fillets

and no as in its stressed and on light substrate so its colors aren't as bright as normal.
Sorry, guess that was kinda given.
Thanks dude.

He was like that when I got him. And based on what I've researched so far, I think he'd been stressed alot at the petstore. Although it's just been three days, could he still be stressed?
So you think I should change the substrate I used? Had to google substrate by the way.haha

Oh_my_Gar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2016
T
not live, frozen fillets

and no as in its stressed and on light substrate so its colors aren't as bright as normal.
agree, that photo looks like a washed up del. 5-6 inches is good for your 25 gal IMO, For now. They grow quickly.

With white sand they'll be a bit pale. If budget permits change to dark, or red. Brings out their markings.

Try a variety of diet. Mine eats shrimp, chicken heart, sinking pellets, and fish fillets (tawilis) mon- shrimp, chicken heart - tues, so on

DannielR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2016
Philippines
not live, frozen fillets

Sorry, guess that was kinda given.
Thanks dude.

He was like that when I got him. And based on what I've researched so far, I think he'd been stressed alot at the petstore. Although it's just been three days, could he still be stressed?
So you think I should change the substrate I used? Had to google substrate by the way.haha

DannielR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2016
Philippines
T
agree, that photo looks like a washed up del. 5-6 inches is good for your 25 gal IMO, For now. They grow quickly.

With white sand they'll be a bit pale. If budget permits change to dark, or red. Brings out their markings.

Try a variety of diet. Mine eats shrimp, chicken heart, sinking pellets, and fish fillets (tawilis) mon- shrimp, chicken heart - tues, so on
Thanks

So, long should I wait 'til they'll need a new tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store