Arowana mixing

Pandrew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Hello everyone hoping for some quick tips, I have a foot long Asian arowana in my 180 gallon tank 6x2x2 and I’m thinking of adding an albino silver or black arowana, I don’t have one picked out I’m just doing some preliminary research. Would this matchup be acceptable and are there ways to minimize aggression. I should also say I currently have a 300 gallon in storage for when I need to upgrade as well as plans for a large diy tank build once I’ve moved to a permanent location. Any and all advice, stories and, criticism is welcome

Peach02

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2019
Australia
I'm no expert with arowana but from what I've heard it's best to ether keep them alone or in groups of 3+ so the agression isn't one on one. For methods of seperating them maybe eggcrate with several rocks supporting it
Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Some might have done it successfully but as Peach02 says either solo or 3+ Aros is the practice recommended by most. If only 2 there would be a good chance it came down to serious blows, possibly death, as one (likely the Asian) established dominance. If it were a good sized community pond maybe it would work but I personally wouldn't chance it with a 180 or 300.

Pandrew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Thank you kindly I wasn’t sure if that held true for two differing aros, not work the risk for such beautiful fish if that’s the case thank you both

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store