Asian Redtail nipping

ToGetLucky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2017
Recently bought a 7" Jardini arowana and moved him in today with my 5" asian rt. Has anyone who has housed these two together (or any arowana with a asian redtail catish) experience any nipping from the rt to the aro? Is the rt just displaying territories? From what I understood you could have these together as tank mates? Anything helps thanks guys.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Recently bought a 7" Jardini arowana and moved him in today with my 5" asian rt. Has anyone who has housed these two together (or any arowana with a asian redtail catish) experience any nipping from the rt to the aro? Is the rt just displaying territories? From what I understood you could have these together as tank mates? Anything helps thanks guys.
If the tank isn't a few thousand gallons, ime the artc is still gonna attack the aro.

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Not a good mix in my opinion. Asian redtail I found do best alone. Easily one of the most aggressive cats...especially with size. I would separate these fish..especially for the arowana sake.

Reactions: ToGetLucky

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
A mix that can go both ways but I'd favor the cat killing the aro vs vice versa

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
The cat will outgrow then destroy that aro, sorry but it will happen.

Reactions: ToGetLucky

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
What tank size are you planning?

Bertie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
London
The red tail will out grow any tank mate unless it is a fast growing tank mate and triple the size or the red tail right now

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
The red tail will out grow any tank mate unless it is a fast growing tank mate and triple the size or the red tail right now
Asian red tail and South America red tail have two different growth rates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store