Best temp for Central America cichlids?

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Now I know a lot of different people who like to keep their tanks at different temps for different reasons. I have heard of people keeping them at 68 degrees in the winter to act as it would in the wild. Most people seem to keep their tanks at 75-80 degrees. A amphilophus keeper on YouTube said he keeps all his tanks at 86 degrees to avoid diseases. Is this accurate? What do you keep your temperature at and why?

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I heat my fishroom and not individual tanks so the temps tend to be warmer in the summer (mid-80s) and cooler in the winter (upper-60s / lower 70s).

Keeping Central Americans at the lower end of the temp scale reduces aggression and allows me to increase the temp if I want them to breed (vs. constantly breeding)... although I've had lots of CA species breed at 70-72F (despite my efforts trying to slow them down) :)

Reactions: HybridFinatic

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
YouTuber is the key words there

It's all over the place and in the wild the temps are way lower.

Me personally ive tried everything but what I like is between 80-82F for most. Under 78 they seem lethargic above 82F and they seemed labored/stressed no matter the aeration. It's just a happy median for their health and enjoyable fish keeping from my experience. I kept mainly parachromis, amphs, vieja types, grammodes, istlanums, angels, oscars, & fiesta to be specific though

I treat beani and nasties totally different.

If something is off the charts aggro I keep cooler as well

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are a number of different temp zones in Central America, so just using the blanket term can be misleading.
Many Herichthys, Mayaheros, and Nosferatu come from northern Mexico where temps are somewhat seasonal, can be cool (if not cold) at night and hot during the day. Run off from near by mountains also can keep temps down. I found that some of these cichlids can be susceptible to bacterial diseases at constant temps above 82.
Some Nosferatu bartoni come from waters that barely rise above 70'F.
The great Lakes of Nicaragua average only in the mid 70s, and at depths only in the 60sF.
Lake Arenal where P dove are found is very wind swept, and they are said to be most active (according to fishermen) when temps are in the high 60sF.
Cincelichtys bocourti, and pearsei come from sea level lagoons that have constant 80'F water temps, and suffer when temps drop.
Nandopsis haitiensus average water temps are often high 80s into low 90s.
With Central and North American cichlids (Mexico is considered part of North America) one size does not fit all, although for most mid to low 70s are fine.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
There are a number of different temp zones in Central America, so just using the blanket term can be misleading.
Many Herichthys, Mayaheros, and Nosferatu come from northern Mexico where temps are somewhat seasonal, can be cool (if not cold) at night and hot during the day. Run off from near by mountains also can keep temps down. I found that some of these cichlids can be susceptible to bacterial diseases at constant temps above 82.
Some Nosferatu bartoni come from waters that barely rise above 70'F.
The great Lakes of Nicaragua average only in the mid 70s, and at depths only in the 60sF.
Lake Arenal where P dove are found is very wind swept, and they are said to be most active (according to fishermen) when temps are in the high 60sF.
Cincelichtys bocourti, and pearsei come from sea level lagoons that have constant 80'F water temps, and suffer when temps drop.
Nandopsis haitiensus average water temps are often high 80s into low 90s.
With Central and North American cichlids (Mexico is considered part of North America) one size does not fit all, although for most mid to low 70s are fine.
What about bean?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Beani are the northern most cichlid found on the Pacific coast of Mexico. Nights can get cool there, and the rivers begin high in the Sierra Madre Occidental mountain range which also holds water temps down somewhat.
After summer heatwave caused infection and death in my first group, I kept my next beani more successfully at room temps.
They spawned at temps between 68-71'F, and did fine at that temp there after.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Beani are the northern most cichlid found on the Pacific coast of Mexico. Nights can get cool there, and the rivers begin high in the Sierra Madre Occidental mountain range which also holds water temps down somewhat.
After summer heatwave caused infection and death in my first group, I kept my next beani more successfully at room temps.
They spawned at temps between 68-71'F, and did fine at that temp there after.

Thanks. I knew we talked about it in the past but I couldn't find it. Good stuff

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ure-do-you-keep-yours-at.713131/#post-8047749

There's others, just do a search on "temperature" in this folder.

As far as less disease at 86F, the higher the temperature, the greater many bacterial strains become. Flexibacter columnaris is a good example. Just more bogus info supplied by a youtuber.
Yeah most you tubers are bogus but this guys videos weren’t even monitized. He just bred amphilophus and likes to document it. I just wanted to check that with experts. The King of DIY is just getting worse and worse. I was sort of on the fence with his videos but I unsubbed last week because every video he just spews BS. I only really follow Andy Woods. I wish he would post more.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
After a discussion on MFK not too long ago, I pulled the heaters from my tanks, and have had no problems keeping my cichlids in the mid to low 70s. Previously had beeb around 78-80. No noticeable difference, but I have less cords plugged in, which I like.
I think the optimal temperature is pretty variable since "CA Cichlids" contains fish from many different geographic regions, but that most are pretty adaptable in the 65-85 range

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store