Catfish not having much of an appetite latley

-603FiShHoBbIeSt-

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
So as some of you know I have a nice 14 inch vulture cat that is by far my favorite fish and truly a pet to me rather than just a fish. The other day he was being a bit shy when trying to feed him which is not normal as he normally swims up the glass looking for food and will usually have no problem taking food out of my fingers. So about 4 days ago now I was feeding him silver sides and he wouldnt come up and take them from my fingers like he usually does, so I just dropped one in a let it sink to the bottom on the side of the tank he usually hangs out, and when I dropped the silver side in he freaked out darting around the tank and hit a large piece of drift wood in my tank as well as the glass, and ever since then I cant get him to eat anything and has been acting very skittish and darty almost like he is stressed and this behavior is all new within the last 4 days, anyone have any advice or know what the problem could be?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So as some of you know I have a nice 14 inch vulture cat that is by far my favorite fish and truly a pet to me rather than just a fish. The other day he was being a bit shy when trying to feed him which is not normal as he normally swims up the glass looking for food and will usually have no problem taking food out of my fingers. So about 4 days ago now I was feeding him silver sides and he wouldnt come up and take them from my fingers like he usually does, so I just dropped one in a let it sink to the bottom on the side of the tank he usually hangs out, and when I dropped the silver side in he freaked out darting around the tank and hit a large piece of drift wood in my tank as well as the glass, and ever since then I cant get him to eat anything and has been acting very skittish and darty almost like he is stressed and this behavior is all new within the last 4 days, anyone have any advice or know what the problem could be?

I personally would check the water parameters first. Is silver sides the only food you offer ?
Some fish as they mature will not have to be fed every day.

Reactions: -603FiShHoBbIeSt-

-603FiShHoBbIeSt-

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
I personally would check the water parameters first. Is silver sides the only food you offer ?
Some fish as they mature will not have to be fed every day.
I've been having an issue lately with nitrates being a bit higher than id like, but it wasnt bothering him before but i guess it could be getting to him now, I feed him silver sides, shrimp, and scalops usually

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've been having an issue lately with nitrates being a bit higher than id like, but it wasnt bothering him before but i guess it could be getting to him now, I feed him silver sides, shrimp, and scalops usually

Do larger % wc's and try feeding every other day it will help and there won't be any waste of food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store