Some updated pics.
The tank is doing very well. There is a lot of algal growth as I have been feeding heavily to let the algae get ahead a bit. Keeping the Sicyopterus and acrossocheilus off it is hard work. But feeding fresh algae rocks from the stream outside is helping seed the tank again.
A freshly placed wild algae rock (white rock). The sicyopterus was so busy chasing away fish it hardly had any. The male rhinogobius, bottom right, was keeping a beady eye on a rival male just out of the shot. I am alsways surprised how much algae the rhinogobius consume when I add wild rocks.
I love the mature layout but am thinking of changing it up a bit. Or redoing it.
These two males hang out like this watching each other. Nothing ever more than a quick chase.
The acrossocheilus devouring the filament algae.
FTS showing the pothos roots that act as riparian cover. There is not much space left in the tank.
Some more pics. This tank is so hard to photograph as the fish barely stop moving.
The younger female rhinogobius like to hang out on the top of the branch. Also gives them quick access to the food dropped in.
The sicyopterus only seem to eat algae on this part of the branch leaving the lowest and highest ends.
The former big boy now no longer looks out of place in the tank as the rest catch up in size.
You can see the protrusions on the heads of these fish as they enter breeding times. The zacco looked like a dragon head not long ago with all the points he grew. He does not take crap from the big horse mouth anymore.
In all his glory.
Even though they are not the same species the fish do act as one shoal.
Managed to snap a half clear pic of the acrossocheilus. This is the smallest one.
The fish have really grown into their own now. I am now almost unable to tell which of the fish were the "small" ones in the group.
The color on the pale chubs is now getting really nice.
Anyway, this tank is going to get a make over this month some time. I am moving the tank onto a rack below a 55 gal that I will be making into a paludarium fast current tank. I will make a thread on that asking for some plant advice.
If anyone has ideas about a new layout for this tank please let me know. I have a larger piece of juniper wood I may use and remove the branch from this one.
The foam mats I use under my bigger tanks. They are interlocking foam floor tiles.
Slowly, when I have time, Trying to convert the laundry bucket into a trickle filter. Just for fun.
The gravel I use for the 75gal. The zacco's love it as a spawning substrate.
If you try a false bottom that is not siliconed and is removable, be VERY CAREFUL of this. Small stones in the gaps between glass.
Nearly broke the front and back panels when cleaning it out. I have since filled gaps with foam and floss to avoid this next time.
We'll see if it works on the next change.
How I housed the fish for 2 days. Filter cleaned it up in about 2 hours.
The three circulation and filtration pumps moving a combined 18000L/H (4755gph). Still have quiet spots.
The rhinogobius in the tank all together except one male that accidentally got put in the rack.
Everyone was doing very well and growing. The Zacco's were mating every few weeks. Eggs eaten like caviar.
Event the acrossocheilus, which I believe are also known as "Torrent Carp" in English, were showing signs of courtship. They are super active but really nice fish.
The tanks had reached a nice harmony, except for the Horse Mouths. They get more and more aggressive as they grew to the point that I was considering removing then.
The disaster struck.
I added meds to the whole fishroomto treat for intestinal parasites and worms. During the night the filter outlet was knocked by a fish of moved down just enough to stop breaking the surface of the water and keep it highly oxygenated. Sadly, ALL the fish died.
I came to the conclusion it was suffocation as every other tank was fine. Even the some of the smaller tanks which I dosed slightly higher than prescribed, were fine and I can see the treatment has helped.
This is what I woke up to:
I have cleaned and refilled the tank. The rotting fish, mainly rhinogobius, stuck between the rockwork has slowly been rotting away. This has had a positive effect on the growth of aufwuch/periphyton as this was all but eaten.
I have new plans for the tank. Along the same theme but a little different.
I will keep it as hillstream/fast current tank.
This is one of three tanks I play with and don't try breed something. So I want something more "interesting" to me for now.
This 75g will be a more aggressive flow tank. I have re-added the Sicyopterus Japonicus. I have also added 5 anostomus ternetzi. I will look at slowly restocking with fish that get about 4-5" and like high flow.
The 55g above this will become a paludarium with more passive rheophilic species