Central Taiwan Biotope Creation Log and Journal

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
The zacco platypus spent the evening spawning in three locations in the tank. Was awesome watching them do their thing.
One of the smaller rhinogobius was having a ball grabbing eggs that didn't make it into the gravel.

Reactions: dan518

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Tank is stunning, first time I have been on in a while, good to see how its progressing.

Reactions: cockroach

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Tank is stunning, first time I have been on in a while, good to see how its progressing.
Thanks Dan. As they are growing it is definitely becoming more interesting to watch. The Zacco male goes after the large horse mouth while he is courting. usually the other way around.
The Sicyopterus have also established their pecking order which is fun to watch them guard their turf.
The rhinogobius are one of my favorite fish. They are clowns and scared of nothing. I had to push them out the way with the net as they kept swimming into it while I was catching the Stiphies.

Also interesting is as the fish grow, they are seemingly enjoying the current more and more.
A male goby that has set up shop in the false bottom, he comes up to feed or check out the girls but rarely ventures farther this:
20190215_161123.jpg

A male sicyopterus:
20190331_171252.jpg

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I love how your project has developed and have been watching from the beginning. Please continue this thread as I look forward to your updates.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Thanks Dan. As they are growing it is definitely becoming more interesting to watch. The Zacco male goes after the large horse mouth while he is courting. usually the other way around.
The Sicyopterus have also established their pecking order which is fun to watch them guard their turf.
The rhinogobius are one of my favorite fish. They are clowns and scared of nothing. I had to push them out the way with the net as they kept swimming into it while I was catching the Stiphies.

Also interesting is as the fish grow, they are seemingly enjoying the current more and more.
A male goby that has set up shop in the false bottom, he comes up to feed or check out the girls but rarely ventures farther this:
View attachment 1371013

A male sicyopterus:
View attachment 1371014
Looking really good, I will have to get my arse into gear and see about setting up my goby tank at some point.

Reactions: cockroach

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I love how your project has developed and have been watching from the beginning. Please continue this thread as I look forward to your updates.
Thanks. I have enjoyed watching it grow and mature. The largest horse mouth is becoming an absolute brute during feeding times. After a lot of observation this week I have come to realize he goes after to groups of fish in particular. One, he is savage in his chasing of the smaller horse mouth.
Two, he goes after the zaccos. I have come to deduce that this is due to their highly reflective flanks that cause his predatory instincts to kick in as he does not chase them relentlessly. Much like a small dog goes after a bird or squirrels until it flies away or goes up a tree.

Most of the day they all sit in a loose school in the current from the filter outlet.
20190311_130653.jpg

They hang out like this or slightly closer together.
20190313_215857.jpg

This pic does not clearly illustrate the size difference between the horse mouths.
20190428_215045(2).jpg

This was the night the zacco's were spawning.
20190428_215139.jpg20190428_215250.jpg

Looking really good, I will have to get my arse into gear and see about setting up my goby tank at some point.
Thanks. Find that gear and get it going! I want someone to talk to about gobies.
What are your plans?
I love how the gobies setup in the front of the tank. Even their preferred hideouts are in the front under the large rocks.
20190331_164542.jpg20190331_170140.jpg

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
It seems those zacco spawn quite often. Think that could have to do with your tanks being at a much more favorable water level at all times?

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
It seems those zacco spawn quite often. Think that could have to do with your tanks being at a much more favorable water level at all times?
This is the first time mine have spawned as they were babies when collected last year.
By water level, do you mean as in deeper water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store