Cichla intermedia or cichla kelberi?

rico suave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2016
hello everybody i just got me a 210gallon tank and am getting a big show fish in which i choose to get a fish from the cichla genus to fill that spot, at first i was going to get a cichla melaniae xingu but they are not available for the next 3-4 months from the seller who im dealing with so that leaves me with either the intermedia or kelberi variety to choose from but i need a little help from some seasoned keepers here are a couple concerns i have:

1. which one is more eye catching? best pattern? best color? at full grown adult
2. how big does a kelberi get? i seen some sites say 27-29 cm max length
3.should i be looking for a kelberi that is label high quality, high yellow, or high gold for that kind of spotted/motley patterning or will they all have it full grown?
4.how rare is a true intermedia? i notice people focus on stating it is true with the 6 bars

i really want to get a super super nice show fish with crazy color and pattern
if you have any kind of advice/pictures/videos of these fish and experience please let me know down below

if you any of these fish i stated above for sale let me know maybe we can work something out plantedtank718@gmail.com....DONT CONTACT WITH OUT PICTURES DONT WASTE YOUR TIME

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Your thread is about PBass Cichlids and this is the General Aquaria Section making it the incorrect section for your thread. In order to get the best advice about PBass and to follow TOS it should be placed in our PBass Cichlid section. Those who are most passionate and have the most experience about PBass frequent that section and therefore your most likely to get the most as well as the best informed responses there. As such I'm moving your thread there.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Since you said you wanted a xingu I'll start there and point you towards Aquascape.They are vendors here and they currently have some...not sure where your location is but they have a nice shop in New Jersey and they also ship.They have photos on thier website.
As for which species is more eye catching well, that is up to the you and your tastes but I happen to think that the kelberi are the best looking of the available cichla.I probably would not be into the peacocks if there were no kelberi....other species are nice but nothing tops the gold body and spangled fins of a nice fully developed bahia kel and the prices for them have gone way down over the years....again,just my opinion lol.
A few batches of intermedia recently came on the market but they probably have all been bought and I would say that they are still extremely rare.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
AquaScape AquaScape has an incredible Intermedia up for grabs right now.

rico suave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2016
Since you said you wanted a xingu I'll start there and point you towards Aquascape.They are vendors here and they currently have some...not sure where your location is but they have a nice shop in New Jersey and they also ship.They have photos on thier website.
As for which species is more eye catching well, that is up to the you and your tastes but I happen to think that the kelberi are the best looking of the available cichla.I probably would not be into the peacocks if there were no kelberi....other species are nice but nothing tops the gold body and spangled fins of a nice fully developed bahia kel and the prices for them have gone way down over the years....again,just my opinion lol.
A few batches of intermedia recently came on the market but they probably have all been bought and I would say that they are still extremely rare.
have you bought from aquascape before? i was looking at their stock list but they have not replied to some emails i sent them asking what kind of treatments they give their fish when first arrived, any medications they use, etc....

i can get an intermedia from batfish aquatics for a reasonable price i can also get some kelberi but idk the location point and i cant see their patterns but i have a pic of the intermedia that i can get i attatched it down below

IMG_1820.JPG

rico suave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2016
Your thread is about PBass Cichlids and this is the General Aquaria Section making it the incorrect section for your thread. In order to get the best advice about PBass and to follow TOS it should be placed in our PBass Cichlid section. Those who are most passionate and have the most experience about PBass frequent that section and therefore your most likely to get the most as well as the best informed responses there. As such I'm moving your thread there.

ok can i move this thread over there or will i have to redo the thread?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh wow....if they bring some babies in I might bite just to see what the hype is all about.

rico suave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2016
have you order from them before? i contacted them a couple times but their response time has not been in a timely fashion at all

rico suave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2016
nerver mind thanks for the help with putting it in the right category

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
ok can i move this thread over there or will i have to redo the thread?
The thread has already been moved.
I have ordered from Aquascape numerous times,I got my xingu from them and have been contemplating on another.I don't bother emailing,I just call them when I am ready to place an order.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store