Cichlid Compatibility in 120G (JackD, GT/RT, Geo, Pictus, Bichir)

Bfernandes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2017
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to make an upgrade to approx 120G tank (48x30x24) I was hoping if I could get an idea of the type of cichlids I could keep in this setup. Iv got a few in mind which I am fond of, but am not sure if its worth risking if they will kill each other. Of course I understand putting any type of fish together can result in aggression, but its about weighing up the fish's personality/traits/size of the tank/water parameters etc....

Here is a possible stock list:
x1 Jack dempsy (Must - Already have one, think its a female about 5inch)
x1 GT/RT - They look amazing - but will it fight with the JD/will the tank size be okay for both of them?!
x3-5 Geophagus Winemilleri (Non-aggressive possible shoaling?) - not 100% sure these will be able to hold there own, was thinking 3-5 as less likely to be pushed around in a group.
3-5 Pictus catfish (not 100% must - Already have 2 'increase size to shoal')
x1 Bichir (Not sure on type - the smaller sizes one 'Ornate' possibly) - Will this kill my pictus? OR cause more problems with other fish.

If I did not include the GT/RT in this combination would it possibly work?

Would this be considered too heavily stocked for the planned tank size.

This is a rough idea - if anyone has any better suggestions please post below, happy to consider anything?!?

Thanks everyone =]

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
I'm not sure about the jack dempsey and geos, but if you do get geos definitely get at least 5. The more numbers the more comfortable they will feel. Winemilleris are a good choice for that size tank.

Bfernandes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for your input Dis,

Yes Winemilleris are gorgeous fish indeed, considering them because of that reason, along with their adult size and general non-aggressive personalities to possibly neutralise any other aggression (from the JD?)

Has anyone had any luck with this combination of fish? Or any disasters that I would avoid

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I think mixing geos and central american cichlids is risky, but if the JD is calm maybe. A bichir could damage the geos fins at night while looking for food, but generally leave fish alone otherwise if they can't eat them. A delhezi may be a better choice than an ornate in the long run because of it's smaller adult size.

Reactions: magpie

Bfernandes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks Robham777,

I knew there was a smaller Bichir, but could not find the name of it. That's the one I was looking for and will most likely sway towards (If I end up getting one).

Would the pictus catfish be okay with a Bichir flying about, they do have a shock protective mechanism if they run into problems i guess.

Regarding the mix of Geos and Central AC I was hoping the tank size would be large enough to accommodate them (Maybe in my head, its bigger than what it actually would be). Also hoping the JD is a female (which i think it is), so it will stay considerably smaller compared to a male.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Thanks Robham777,

I knew there was a smaller Bichir, but could not find the name of it. That's the one I was looking for and will most likely sway towards (If I end up getting one).

Would the pictus catfish be okay with a Bichir flying about, they do have a shock protective mechanism if they run into problems i guess.

Regarding the mix of Geos and Central AC I was hoping the tank size would be large enough to accommodate them (Maybe in my head, its bigger than what it actually would be). Also hoping the JD is a female (which i think it is), so it will stay considerably smaller compared to a male.
Stocking a community in any size tank can be hit or miss and may require some trial and error. Does your JD have any tank mates now to give you a gauge of her disposition towards other fish?

Reactions: Bfernandes

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I had a Senegal bichir attempt to eat a pictus catfish years ago, the pictus got stuck in the bichirs throat and they both died. I wouldn't keep the two together again.
As far as the cichlids go, the JD may work with geophagus but it really depends on your JD. Most I have kept have been pushovers, but I have heard of some mean SOB's. I would definitely not get a red terror (festae), that would throw this all out of whack. Green terror *might* be okay, again it depends on the individual fish's personality. I would recommend you just do the Geos and JD, that will be a lot of large cichlids already for a 120 and would be more likely to work out in my opinion.

Bfernandes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2017
Robham777 - My JD is living along side x2 pictus most of its life.

Gourami Swami - Okay, maybe those will not be a good match then! also GT/RT i might not get either as i dont want to take away from my JD.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In nature I find that when JDs live in a multi-cichlid community they seem to suffer a bit.
When they live with non-cichlids they seem to do well, fish like live bearers and Rhamdia catfish.
Compare the JDs in Eden Cenote with the ones in the Cenote they share with uropthalmus.
027 zps4b102ffd
above with the uropthalmus, they are a bit torn up, and their numbers are very low in comparison.
Below they are almost the only cichlid, and dominate.
Eden2
They also are the dominant cichlid in Cenote Cristalino, and do well.
I also find when trying to keep JDs with other spangled species, there are compatibility issues. The Andianacara might have this result, whereas the more mild mannered Geos may fit better.
My personal bias is not to keep species from different continents in the same show tank, JDs being from North America, GTs from South America,.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to make an upgrade to approx 120G tank (48x30x24) I was hoping if I could get an idea of the type of cichlids I could keep in this setup. Iv got a few in mind which I am fond of, but am not sure if its worth risking if they will kill each other. Of course I understand putting any type of fish together can result in aggression, but its about weighing up the fish's personality/traits/size of the tank/water parameters etc....

Here is a possible stock list:
x1 Jack dempsy (Must - Already have one, think its a female about 5inch)
x1 GT/RT - They look amazing - but will it fight with the JD/will the tank size be okay for both of them?!
x3-5 Geophagus Winemilleri (Non-aggressive possible shoaling?) - not 100% sure these will be able to hold there own, was thinking 3-5 as less likely to be pushed around in a group.
3-5 Pictus catfish (not 100% must - Already have 2 'increase size to shoal')
x1 Bichir (Not sure on type - the smaller sizes one 'Ornate' possibly) - Will this kill my pictus? OR cause more problems with other fish.

If I did not include the GT/RT in this combination would it possibly work?

Would this be considered too heavily stocked for the planned tank size.

This is a rough idea - if anyone has any better suggestions please post below, happy to consider anything?!?

Thanks everyone =]
Oranges are far from small I've seen 23 inch long specimens in tanks however would work with geophagus, also a red terror ,green terror and jack dempsey will fight with each other and other fish
Try these alternatives
Senegal bichir
Blue acara
Nicaraguense cichlids
These will be compatible with pictus and geophagus in general as long as you provide multiple territories

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store