Dennis Kraemer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
Hey guys I have been thinking about fish for my new 75. I have never kept Cichlids and I was wondering if they could stay with my bullhead (pic above). I love peacocks but I am open to suggestions on species and how many fish I can put in there

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
You’d have to get a large cichlid to be big enough to not get eaten. Even then it might not be a good idea. Cichlids sleep on the bottom at night and catfish hunt at night.... I’m sure you see where this is going. They are sitting ducks. If they can’t be eaten they could still get bit and be susceptible to other issues because of it.

Dennis Kraemer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
You’d have to get a large cichlid to be big enough to not get eaten. Even then it might not be a good idea. Cichlids sleep on the bottom at night and catfish hunt at night.... I’m sure you see where this is going. They are sitting ducks. If they can’t be eaten they could still get bit and be susceptible to other issues because of it.
Ok my catfish is with a yellow lab Cichlid I thing they are like Mbunas and the Cichlid attacks him, I have never seen him attack another fish but any ideas what I could have with a bullhead in a 75g?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Maybe go with natives and get bluegills or Sunny’s? I have no idea on how many would be appropriate for a 75g with a bullhead. But if you decide to do a native theme you could post in that section for more specific help on stocking.

Reactions: tlindsey

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
I would add 3-5 bluegils c the biggest ones in the pond u catch em in if they are over 6inches I would do 3 if not get a nice cichlid I would say an oscar but they get a tiny bit too big for a 75 u can sometimes get them cheap at like 6inches

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
bullheads are glutons and actually will throw up in the water Africans which your yellow lab need clean water and heated around 78 the bulhead can live in cooler water Also most of the mbunas are vegetarians

Dennis Kraemer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
bullheads are glutons and actually will throw up in the water Africans which your yellow lab need clean water and heated around 78 the bulhead can live in cooler water Also most of the mbunas are vegetarians
I keep my water at 78 and I have about 75 gallons worth of filtration so it looks clear all the time, I hate dirty tanks so I do water changes weekly as well

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
I kept a bullhead with a trio of sunfish years ago. Bullhead actually make great pets once they get use to people

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store