Compatibility questions + please help identify + Bala Shark in 70Gal?

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Hello,

I have an ***h0le blue texas (25cm) and a common pleco(30cm) in a 45gal (obviously a nano tank for this fish, I know, please don't trow rocks at me, I water change religiously) with a bunch of snaks (guppies).

I'm buying a 70 galon this weekend as an upgrade.

The problem is , there are some fish as a "free bonus"
Please tell me if I've identified those correctly (pic attached):

- African Leaf Fish / Leopard Gourami.
- Gold Severum
- Bala Shark
- Rope fish

I did a quick google search and bala shark seem to be a monster fish, that will be about a foot long (please tell me I've identified that fish wrong).
The rope fish aswell seems to be a foot long thing when it's grown up (is it safe to assume he's not a mega pooper as my foot long pleco?).
The cichlids and gourami see to me on the smaller side 7-8 inches long when fully grown.

My questions are:
1. Do I have enough gallons to merge those 2 tanks?
If not, do I have enough gallons if I re-home the balla shark?
If I still don't have enough gallons, which fish from the new tank should remove?

2. Do they stand a chance against a texas cichlid? (I have dividers in case things go wrong)
The texas, pleco and the bigillion of guppies are moving to the new tank.
ATM, the texas doesn't eat the guppies, he just rages at them, he can't focus on a single fish, thus, no guppies are hurt.
The pleco bosses the cichlid around when he's bored or when the cichlid is being an ***h0le to other fish

3. If Blue tries to kill everyone regardless of the a) tank not being his territory and b) the snaks providing distraction, will those fish work in another 70gal with the following fish:

- angel fish x3
- botia clowns x7
- ram cichlids 2-3 (don't remember)
- normal gourami (fully grown gourami, but not the giant one) x1

I know that the bonus fish are not very agressive, however, the fish that are in the second 70galon seem quite fragile to me (I have no idea what size the bonus fish are, but in the second 70 gal everyone but the botias are fully grown).
The owner of the second 70gal is already in-love with Alf (african leaf fish), Sharkie and doesn't want to re-home Noodle or "those weird blood parrots".

4. If the option #3 doesn't work, shall I get some more cichlids to disperse the aggression or just re-home? If so, which would be suitable? Would getting even more guppies give the same effect as getting more cichlids? Shall I re-home Sharkie if I get more cichlids or the tank size is fine?

I feel bad having to re-home fish and would prefear not to since most people seem to treat fish as decorations, rather than pets, but I don't want anyone hurt.

Please advise (specially identifying the fish)

PS: yes, I'm aware that guppie-snaks will most likely be eaten. I'm leaving lots of snaks to breed in the 45gal and adding some snails since google tells that Sharkie and Noodle love to eat those. It is indeed cruel to let fish eat other fish when there are other options, but I like to think they're doing a bit better than in the fish store's feeder tank.

PS2: yes, I'm aware that I'm trying to mix fish that require slightly different temperatures and ph/whatever. Blue is fine with slightly hotter water and the tap water has the same paramethers, regardless of what kind of cichlids the tank has. I had successfully kept African and American cichlids previously until the day my parents decided to transfer "healthy bacteria" from their tank to mine for no reason, transfering disease, leaving me with what I currently have. It worked because everyone was bought together, thus all the babies reached adulthood at the same time more or less.

fish_two.jpg

fish_one.jpg

Reactions: fishhead0103666

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
70g is too small in foot print for a bala. The nose on that bala looks like it's been mashed in due to it freaking out and ramming the sides of the tank.

I wouldn't combine the inhabitants from the 45 into the 70g. That's too many fish. You will have to rehome some fish (I recommend the bala and pleco for starters).

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
So that's actually a bala... sad...

Pleco and Texas are definitelly staying, those are my pets and the tank I'm getting is for them.

Do the rest of the "bonus fishies" have a chancein any of my tanks?

Eclipse390

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Hudson Valley, NY
I agree - you're going to need to rehome some fish. Even 70 gal is too small for a common pleco unfortunately.
Someone will snatch those Red Severums up quick, so at least you shouldn't have to worry about those. The tough sell is going to be finding someone with a tank large enough to house the Bala IMO.

Reactions: tlindsey

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I agree - you're going to need to rehome some fish. Even 70 gal is too small for a common pleco unfortunately.
Someone will snatch those Red Severums up quick, so at least you shouldn't have to worry about those. The tough sell is going to be finding someone with a tank large enough to house the Bala IMO.

Worse case scenario, I'll donate him to my local fish store. They do have some monsters that come and go.

What about sticking the gourami and the severums in the second 70gal with the angel fish? Would that work?
I don't really care for the noodle.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Worse case scenario, I'll donate him to my local fish store. They do have some monsters that come and go.

What about sticking the gourami and the severums in the second 70gal with the angel fish? Would that work?
I don't really care for the noodle.
That is still quite a heavy stocking for only a 70g. Severums aren’t limited to the 7-8 inches like you say. It’s more like 8-12 inches and they aren’t always semi-aggressive. You could try it as that stocking could work but I think it would eventually need a little upgrade.

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I'll try to sell the bala and the rope fish, otherwise my local fish store confirmed they have no problem taking in monster fish.

I'll quarantine the gourami in the 200L tank and stick it in the second big tank since the person loves gouramis.
Might add some other small gouramis later on since botias are slow growers and there's nothing massive in there.

Decided to not stick the cichlids with the angels, since those are derpy and fragile.
If the severums result to be big and agressive enough to defend them selves from Blue, I might just keep them.
Blue is 25cm+, so if severums are 25-30cm, this might my only chance to achieve peace with more than 2 fish in the tank.

Also, I've used the tank calculator with the measurements I have and apparently, both tanks are ~380liters, which is ~100 US galons.
The add seems to be wrong. WIth the "newly gained 30 galons", I feel like having 3 cichlids and a pleco should be fine (am I wrong?).

The pleco seems to be stunted, he's been 30cm long (12inch) for quite a while. He's about 13-14 years old.
I really hope he doesn't decide to grow to his full size in the new tank, cuz that would be even more poop...

Upgrade is inminent, I've been wanting an Oscar for a while, but I don't think this will happen in the next 2 years.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I'll try to sell the bala and the rope fish, otherwise my local fish store confirmed they have no problem taking in monster fish.

I'll quarantine the gourami in the 200L tank and stick it in the second big tank since the person loves gouramis.
Might add some other small gouramis later on since botias are slow growers and there's nothing massive in there.

Decided to not stick the cichlids with the angels, since those are derpy and fragile.
If the severums result to be big and agressive enough to defend them selves from Blue, I might just keep them.
Blue is 25cm+, so if severums are 25-30cm, this might my only chance to achieve peace with more than 2 fish in the tank.

Also, I've used the tank calculator with the measurements I have and apparently, both tanks are ~380liters, which is ~100 US galons.
The add seems to be wrong. WIth the "newly gained 30 galons", I feel like having 3 cichlids and a pleco should be fine (am I wrong?).

The pleco seems to be stunted, he's been 30cm long (12inch) for quite a while. He's about 13-14 years old.
I really hope he doesn't decide to grow to his full size in the new tank, cuz that would be even more poop...

Upgrade is inminent, I've been wanting an Oscar for a while, but I don't think this will happen in the next 2 years.
In a 70g I don’t think anything cichlid will work with a truly angry texas/carpintis...Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store