Compatibility questions + please help identify + Bala Shark in 70Gal?

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
In a 70g I don’t think anything cichlid will work with a truly angry texas/carpintis...Good luck
thnx. worse case scenario, I have dividers and can always sell them later.
what would be other stocking options? a bunch of neon tetras and other nano stuff cuz he can't focus on it?

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
thnx. worse case scenario, I have dividers and can always sell them later.
what would be other stocking options? a bunch of neon tetras and other nano stuff cuz he can't focus on it?
Non satisfied? A Texas should fill up a 70g quite well along with the bio load of the pleco...your full. You also have the guppy’s as dithers since that is working for you. You could try and focus on improving aquascape and lighting if you want to make the tank more enjoyable to watch if that helps.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
That leaf fish is a beauty, makes me miss mine that jumped so much, it looks to be around 5.5 inches. You shouldn’t have a hard time moving the severums (red spotted ones are very much wanted) and ropefish for sure. I would take the leaf fish in a heartbeat but you’re not in georgia are you?

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Non satisfied? A Texas should fill up a 70g quite well along with the bio load of the pleco...your full. You also have the guppy’s as dithers since that is working for you. You could try and focus on improving aquascape and lighting if you want to make the tank more enjoyable to watch if that helps.
According to the calculator, it's 100G. The add is wrong, I've just checked the volume...

Will definitelly need to get some more rocks that he can't lift, but I don't know... Texas + guppies do look pretty, I guess I just got bored.
Maybe I'll introduce a bunch of neon-albino-other tetras to fix my itch of "new shiny tank with old fish that don't learn new tricks" until I get more room and more fishtanks.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
That leaf fish is a beauty, makes me miss mine that jumped so much, it looks to be around 5.5 inches. You shouldn’t have a hard time moving the severums (red spotted ones are very much wanted) and ropefish for sure. I would take the leaf fish in a heartbeat but you’re not in georgia are you?

Nopes, Montreal, Quebec. I think that's the only one that I can successfully keep in the more peacefull aquarium.
What are the prices for the bala shark, the rope fish and the severums? (in $CAD or $US)
If they end up paying half of the aquarium I'll probably be more motivated to sell them to someone with bigger tanks... hm... I have no idea of their size unfortunatelly.

(I still have hopes my texas will be less butthole, I always do... but I have to be realistic)

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Nopes, Montreal, Quebec. I think that's the only one that I can successfully keep in the more peacefull aquarium.
What are the prices for the bala shark, the rope fish and the severums? (in $CAD or $US)
If they end up paying half of the aquarium I'll probably be more motivated to sell them to someone with bigger tanks... hm... I have no idea of their size unfortunatelly.

(I still have hopes my texas will be less butthole, I always do... but I have to be realistic)
I’m in Alberta and ropefish sell for $24-39 each in stores, but you won’t get that price for them.

one of my tanks came with a bala and I re-homed for free, they are quick and flighty...not very attractive imo with a busted up snout.

Reactions: tlindsey

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
have you had the pleco for 13-14 years?
I have him since around 2006-2007. It started with "he'll keep the glass clean" at the fish store. He wasn't bigger than 2 inches.

He has lived in a community tank with goldfish, convicts, guppies and lots of other things... yeah...I know... not my idea, we found a fish tank in the trash and bought the cheapest fish available in the store. My father was a fan of aquariums when he was 5 and applied knowledge from that era... we had the internet, but didn't knew how to use it.

Blue is around 10 or so. I don't remember the exact date when I got him, but can trace back.

The pleco recognizes me and "greets" me (ignores rest of ppl).
Same with Blue. When he sees me, he stares and flashes reddish on his sides (not much visible, camera does not pick up).
Not sure if it's cuz he hates my guts or something, but we have that kind of relationship xD

My pleco also has a "cancer thing" growing on his sucker, which I cut off on a 1-6 monthly basis.
It seems it's painful for him to eat with it (he looses weight if it overgrows).

This is why I don't re-home the pleco regardless of not having the proper tank size.
Nobody is going to do surgery on a fish and he'll probably starve to death.

Also, it's been too long, I just can't. I'm efficient with the water changes by now xD

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because most middle American cichlids will claim a territory of 4 ft x 4 ft x 4ft at maturity, this means the rest of your fish will only be allowed to live in whatever extra space is left in the tank, and if they cross into the Texas 4 sq ft area, they will be attacked, and the attack will only stop, when the usurper leaves that boundary. A 70 gal does not have more than 4x4x4, so to me a 70 gal tank is not big enough for any more fish than just 1 Texas cichlid to share, or is actually large enough for the Texas alone.
When they exercise that territoriality they are not being an A-hole or angry, they are behaving in an instinctual (normal) territorial way for their species,
Just as a mountain lion or a wolf may have nature territories or 20 sq miles or more, many cichlids need at least 4 sq ft to themselves.

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
> 4 ft x 4 ft x 4ft
oh... that's way larger than I thought... derp.jpeg
It won't work then, sale it is.

The A-hole is not for killing things, I understand he's a predator.

TheA-hole is for biting ppl other than me when they try to water change.
He also splashes water randomly "for attention". It's not related to feeding. if I feed him after splash, he doesn't eat.
It's much less frequent tho after the introduction of the guppies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store