Confused about Oscar death?

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Hey zak. I want to commend you for seeking help and facing the firing squad with an objective attitude. Well done. You have the makings of a true mfkr if you see the issue and address it rather than turn a blind eye.

I, like many others here, fighting to establish a point of proper husbandry, have killed and maimed a few oscars and such, before knowing what we know now. After this process I have personally concluded that an Oscar should have at least 180 gal of its own space even as a 6-8 month old specimen.

Others may disagree, but if we read the opening screen of mfk. We are the people who will go to any lengths to make sure we give the best possible housing to our fish. Let’s stand on that as a community, rather than trying to push the limits on our wc schedule to see what doesn’t kill our fish.

Personally I like to see my fish flourish and swim around happily because of a great environment that I provide. I hate to see lethargic, pathetic mopey fish that are sick because they swim around in their own defecate. This is why it’s fun to do a wc imo. Just my .02$.
Thanks, man. That helped a lot. I planned on upgrading to a 120 this summer, possibly a 180 (depends on what i find on craigslist). And i thought i would be able to deal with such a large tank long term, but as time goes on, ive come to accept that keeping that size of a tank (although its possible, i want to, and can) it will be too much at the moment cause i have to deal with school, and eventually moving out and living on my own (+spouse) and more school, this is not a responsibility i want to dump on my parents or brother. maybe not at this point in time, but definitely at some point in the future i want to try keeping an Oscar (180+ tank). but i cant right now. so maybe the oscar dying was a blessing in disguise. just wish i could have rehomed him before he died.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
(but im confused though, why are my catfish doing well though. they're eating -fat bellies- and are growing too.)
Think of it as radiation exposure in humans or exposure to similar toxic element. If one makes the first cut, they're still not out of the woods as the chances of getting subsequent terminal disease of some sort increases exponentially. Eating fast food and having a beer belly afterwards are not going to help but may not be the cause either. Having a good lifestyle gives one a greater chance of lasting longer...But the damage is done...

Fish are tough but like humans, there are certain things that are highly toxic to them in very small amounts.

We all have different opinions in regards to what entails water quality but for me that means no ammonia and nitrite spikes, especially those that I don't know about.. And as I don't have the means to test 24/7, I start with buying healthy fish, not subjecting fish to fish in cycles, keep the largest tanks you can house, stock them lightly, keep good filtration and flow, have plants to take up nitrogen directly from the water as a redundancy mechanism, do regular water changes...

I find that most folks think that ammonia and nitrite disappear from the tank after the tank is cycled....However, a tank is technically never cycled...Read some science, the conditions are in constant flux. Today your water was fine, tomorrow it may not be fine. Testing isn't helping, prevention is the only way.

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Hey zak. I want to commend you for seeking help and facing the firing squad with an objective attitude. Well done. You have the makings of a true mfkr if you see the issue and address it rather than turn a blind eye.
Yes. It's great that you are able to take constructive criticism. A lot of people ask such a question and then get offended when they are offered honest, unvarnished opinions. People here are happy to help other fishkeepers succeed and keep their animals healthy but they don't sugarcoat things either. It does a disservice to all involved to say, "Hey, you did nothing wrong, it was just one of those things..." but that's what some people want to hear.

The bigger tank and bigger filtration system you can get for your future Oscar the better. When I worked for a wildlife veterinarian he was fond of saying, "The solution to pollution is dilution." Whether it's pollutants in an aquarium or toxins in the blood of an animal, the more you can dilute the problematic compound the better off the critter in question will be.

That doesn't mean relax on frequent water changes. Those are still critical no matter how big the tank. It *does* mean that the more water volume you have the safer the tank will be (less prone to ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spikes or temperature swings).

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach

I, like many others here, fighting to establish a point of proper husbandry, have killed and maimed a few oscars and such, before knowing what we know now. After this process I have personally concluded that an Oscar should have at least 180 gal of its own space even as a 6-8 month old specimen.

Others may disagree, but if we read the opening screen of mfk. We are the people who will go to any lengths to make sure we give the best possible housing to our fish. Let’s stand on that as a community, rather than trying to push the limits on our wc schedule to see what doesn’t kill our fish.

Personally I like to see my fish flourish and swim around happily because of a great environment that I provide. I hate to see lethargic, pathetic mopey fish that are sick because they swim around in their own defecate. This is why it’s fun to do a wc imo. Just my .02$.
+1 on seeking help and objective attitude.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are a number of fish that can take much harsher conditions than others.
Cichlids (like oscars are "not" some of them (OK, maybe some Tilapia).
Some catfish and bichirs are among those with an innate ability to last because they experience them (dry spells where ponds become simply mud pits, or worse, etc etc) in nature.
Any fish that can use atmospheric oxygen is usually able to tolerate some of those nasty conditions, many others can't.
I do not say what I say to chastise, I say what I say to save new aquarists the problems that are easily rectified with a few simple practices.
I have made many of these same mistakes, over 60 years of fishkeeping.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
There are a number of fish that can take much harsher conditions than others.
Cichlids (like oscars are "not" some of them (OK, maybe some Tilapia).
Some catfish and bichirs are among those with an innate ability to last because they experience them (dry spells where ponds become simply mud pitsetc etc)in nature.
Any fish that can use atmospheric oxygen is usually able to tolerate some of those conditions others can't.
I do not say what I say to chastise, I say what I say to save new aquarists the problems that are easily rectified with a few simple practices.
I have made many of these same mistakes, over 60 years of fishkeeping.
thank you.

Reactions: Matteus

Fishofmind

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I got 2 , 100 gallon tank. One is for bichirs/pleco and the other is for oscar/pacu. One day i notice one of my tank is leaking (the bichir tank) so I decided to repair it and I place all of my bichir to the other 100gal tank(oscar tank). My oscar and pacu tank consist of 3 tiger oscar and 3 red belly pac, I brought 'em all on the same day( I think about a year ago) then the bichir tank consist of 8 different kinds of bichir(like endli,ornate,senagal etc..) and I got 1 black pleco ,1 albino pleco. So let's go back to the main topic
After I put all the bichir on the oscar tank, all of my Oscar and pacu died. Lol

• Wow
Reactions: RD.

Fishofmind

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
So, I've had this red oscar for a few months. Since around the beginning of December. This dude was a beast of a fish. He was a juvenile. He has lived through an ich infestation, lived in a tank while it was being cycled, and has outlived two other juvenile tiger Oscars. He's never shown any signs of weakness.
looked very well fed. I did not overfeed; I fed him pellets a few times throughout the day, small amounts each time. i wasn't worried about excess food on the bottom of the tank cause i knew the catfish will eat it at night. i still sprinkled several pellets every evening for the sun catfish (3") (every once in a while, I would cut up a small frozen shrimp and put in the tank for the fish to eat. all the shrimp bits would be gone in a couple of days). the oscar was happy, healthy, and growing. i did a 40 % water change (40 gal tank) on Saturday, April 13th. my water parameters were good.
then soon after the water change, i took in a dinosaur bichir (2-3") and a 2 African dwarf frogs for my brother. the oscar became interested in his new neighbors, it was actually rather funny because he seemed quite confused with the bichir (we kept him with the bichir for a few weeks when we first bought them, so we were wondering if he remembered the bichir or maybe was having de ja vu). there was no bullying. the fish and frogs all seemed happy to be neighbors.

but then on Thursday, April 18th, I woke up and my oscar was just lying dead on the tank floor. he just up and died randomly and I can't figure out why. food was good. tank mates were good (don't think it was overstocked cause fish are still small), water conditions were good.

Does anybody have any ideas why my oscar just randomly died, but my other animals are doing just great? the bichir, frogs, and catfish were all putting on some size. they were well fed (i was feeling proud too, cause I was gonna return my bro his animals and they were gonna look bigger and better than ever)
so, does anyone have any clue why my oscar decided to die on me?
I got 2 , 100 gallon tank. One is for bichirs/pleco and the other is for oscar/pacu. One day i notice one of my tank is leaking (the bichir tank) so I decided to repair it and I place all of my bichir to the other 100gal tank(oscar tank). My oscar and pacu tank consist of 3 tiger oscar and 3 red belly pac, I brought 'em all on the same day( I think about a year ago) then the bichir tank consist of 8 different kinds of bichir(like endli,ornate,senagal etc..) and I got 1 black pleco ,1 albino pleco. So let's go back to the main topic
After I put all the bichir on the oscar tank, all of my Oscar and pacu died. Lol

Fishofmind

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I'm 200% sure that those bichirs of mine did those oscar dirty, because I found some of their body(the oscars) inside the bichir hinding spot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store