convicts breeding or fighting?

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I recently got two small convict cichlids. The male is always attacking the female, and she has some small bite marks on her tail. The person at the pet store told me the male was trying to breed with the female, but I found it strange that he would bite her fins. :( Help please!!!

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
They are the same size... every time the female tries to hide the male comes out and attacks her, she can't hide without being bitten. There are multiple hiding places in there, like rocks, caves, and a plastic plant.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If the male is ready to spawn and the female isn't the male will be aggressive towards her. Like stated provide hiding spots preferably for only the female to fit in or use a divider.

Reactions: PGJE

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Would getting another female work? I was thinking that maybe the male will pick on the two and give one of them a break every once in while?

Chiapet29

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
long island, ny
Convicts are notorious breeders, first I would make sure you have a male and a female? Pound-for-pound they can definitely hold their own, I had a 4" male bully my red devil & flowerhorn that was slightly bigger, all depends on what size tank you have & other tank inhabitants sharing his domain

Last edited:

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I'm pretty sure their male and female, the female has a red spot on her belly like females do, and the male doesn't.

convict242

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2015
i would not recommend you to buy another female. depending on tank-size the breedingpair could kill the 3rd fish. I would go for a temporary divider

Reactions: tlindsey

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
ok, now the female just hides a lot and only moves when being chased by the male. The male is eating a lot and gets excited to see me (because i feed them), and I really like him, so I was wondering if I could replace the female with a larger one. Would a female that is bigger than the male not be harassed??? I am not very interested in getting rid of the male.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store