Cool new update in my 125gallon.

Aquamaniac96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2016
So I was just checking in on my fish before I went to bed, and lo and behold I find quite the surprise. Apparently the two most colorful of my Geophagus Sp. Redhead Tapajos have paired up and laid eggs. I've only had them for maybe 3 months if even that long. The biggest one (the female) can't be much bigger than 3-4 inch at most. I was caught by surprise cause I thought she was a male. Her body is more rounded than my others and she seemed to mature much faster than the others. Her colors are on another level compared to the others. I doubt the eggs will be successful in hatching but if they are then I definitely won't complain haha. I saw the male picking at them so I have no idea if he's trying to mouthbrood them already or just eat them. But enough talking. So here's a picture.

IMG_20161128_001452.jpg

Reactions: Rodders02

Aquamaniac96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2016
By the way this a picture of the female fanning, not the male picking up the eggs. The way I left off might have been misleading.

Aquamaniac96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2016
Yeah I'm expecting the first few batches to be failures. I checked this morning and they were all gone. Unless the male is holding them in his mouth I think it's fair to say they were eaten. I'm just glad I got to witness it before it was already over. Although I'm not trying to breed I would love to see a successful batch.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Yeah I'm expecting the first few batches to be failures. I checked this morning and they were all gone. Unless the male is holding them in his mouth I think it's fair to say they were eaten. I'm just glad I got to witness it before it was already over. Although I'm not trying to breed I would love to see a successful batch.
once the pair bond forms it's pretty solid, IME.....I have moved pairs before and never had them break the bond, but a few of the guys just told me the other day it's better not to move a breeding pair unless you really must. I'm sure you'll see babies within the next month.

Reactions: Aquamaniac96
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store