Couple questions before I drill

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for the info.

Now let me ask you this. Wouldn't it be better to just get the second overflow and drill for it and just not use it if I don't need it? It could be a potential for a few wasted dollars, but if I build this thing and don't end up having enough flow I'm going to be screwed.

Secondly, is there any difference depending on where the overflows are placed on the back of the tank. Like more toward the ends or evenly spaced or what not.
Since you've already bought your sump probably so. Or you can modify your setup into a herbie or bean animal siphon set up for more flow

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I would recommend being able to handle twice the flow that you actually plan on running. This way you can have backup flow capabilities, even if one of the overflows becomes clogged.

On my 220, I have three 1.5" overflows, and two 3/4" returns. My overflows can handle a total of about 3600gph, but I only run about 1,600gph. My overflows are setup herbie style in that I use a ball valve on two of them to reduce the flow so that they remain fully siphoned, which makes virtually no sound. I then have my third overflow up a little bit higher and it stays dry, unless one of the other two becomes clogged. The third drain, the emergency drain, is also left wide open for max flow capability.

Reactions: Jhay3513

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
This is the overflow I have and might buy a second If needed.
Im pretty sure the outlets are 1" and it says it's good for 1000gph. Does that seem low?

If I put in two of these where would be the best placement for overflow and returns? Does it even matter?

IMG_7444.JPG

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Ideally you would place the return as far from the overflow as possible. Or at least direct the returns so that there are no dead zones and you get complete water turn over.
If you do install two make sure they are level with each other .
With two I would put one on each end of the back and have my returns in the middle directing flow towards the two front corners.

Reactions: Jhay3513

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
Would you then just do one return in the center and have it split into two nozzles inside the tank? If so, should I bump it up to 1" for that?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I would do a 1" return then split maybe add some lock line inside the tank with two directional flat nozzles.
These things become a matter of opinion and you may have a different preference.
I'm sure someone else will post a different opinion.
This is just what I would do.

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
I would do a 1" return then split maybe add some lock line inside the tank with two directional flat nozzles.
These things become a matter of opinion and you may have a different preference.
I'm sure someone else will post a different opinion.
This is just what I would do.
That's actually the idea I had in mind if it will work for up to 2000gph.

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
So I picked up the second overflow. I have two options I can either do what I was planning and put one overflow on either side with a single 1" return in the center, or put them side by side in the center and have two 3/4" reruns on the side.

I like the concept of the center overflow better but it might look a little goofy, and I don't know if drilling 4 holes that close will do anything to the structure of the tank or not.

If I ran them on the sides with a central return the flow might be a little weird as I am going to have a Y coming off of one pipe. There is also the matter that two 3/4" returns will allow more water flow than one 1"

I know I'm probably overthinking this, but drilling is permanent and I really don't want to screw it up.

Thanks.

IMG_7453.JPG

IMG_7456.JPG

IMG_7457.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store