Danios as food

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Eh? A bored fish will obviously enjoy the mental stimulation of finding its own food. It's what they do in zoos etc. a predator will similarly enjoy the catching of its own food as it's what they are hardwired to do. It more natural to them

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
When I am raising young fish they grow a whole lot faster on pellets as opposed to live feeders.I have had pellet eaters grow to twice the size of their live food eating hold out counterparts and that is good enough scientific study for me lol....and the predatory animals in zoos have more mental capacity than fish do.

Last edited:

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I would think danios would cost a little bit more the the common feeders. Even convicts should be cheaper/easier.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Growing faster doesn't mean they are healthier.
They certainly look it...good color and body size with no apparent health issues.It's not like I'm giving them steroids.

Reactions: Fluidsuit

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
I am sure both ideas have merit and I am not here to say either is wrong in anyway.. Pellets are scientifically designed to provide the ideal nutrition etc but as a treat live food is just as important I think. I know my snakehead and fahaka get bored if I just give them dead food (neither eats pellets anyway) as both have a high prey drive and I think mental stimulation is as important in predatory fish.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What indicates to you that your fish are bored?

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
They lay in their respective caves and don't come out and they stop feeding aggressively. pretty much sit there and pout.. Then I give them feeder shrimp, live crabs or fish and they go monkey poo! Generally feed them 3-4 times a month on this stuff and it just keeps them entertained.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
if going the route of feeders, I'd say danios are a poor choice; they are very energetic for a reason, that is to increase their chances of avoiding predation.

Sure, the JD will probably catch them; but he'll expend much more energy catching them, than he would catching guppies for example.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
if going the route of feeders, I'd say danios are a poor choice; they are very energetic for a reason, that is to increase their chances of avoiding predation.

Sure, the JD will probably catch them; but he'll expend much more energy catching them, than he would catching guppies for example.
Great point,and one that I have noticed when minnows are used as feeders.

Reactions: convict360
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store