Death wish or happiness?

Scoobs55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
I've had a African cichlid (assorted African tank at petsmart) in a 5g all by himself for two years. The cichlid is light blueish/purplish and about 2" long. I wish I knew what I know now before I bought him. Anyways I have a 20g long tank with only a green phantom pleco, he's about 5-6.5" and is very shy. Could I put these together? I know cichlids don't typically pick on plecos but the cichlid has killed several ghost shrimp before. The pleco is massive in comparison size wise, there is also a pretty intricate driftwood setup in the tank. I know 20g isn't ideal for either species but it's what I got. The pleco has been fine in the 20g and the cichlid has been fine in the 5g, but I know the cichlid would like the space.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've had a African cichlid (assorted African tank at petsmart) in a 5g all by himself for two years. The cichlid is light blueish/purplish and about 2" long. I wish I knew what I know now before I bought him. Anyways I have a 20g long tank with only a green phantom pleco, he's about 5-6.5" and is very shy. Could I put these together? I know cichlids don't typically pick on plecos but the cichlid has killed several ghost shrimp before. The pleco is massive in comparison size wise, there is also a pretty intricate driftwood setup in the tank. I know 20g isn't ideal for either species but it's what I got. The pleco has been fine in the 20g and the cichlid has been fine in the 5g, but I know the cichlid would like the space.

It should work but observe for awhile.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Scoobs55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
It should work but observe for awhile.
Any other tank mates that would work with them? Do you think one sponge filter would be good or do I need to keep running my HOB, seems the pleco is messy so probably the more filtration the better.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Any other tank mates that would work with them? Do you think one sponge filter would be good or do I need to keep running my HOB, seems the pleco is messy so probably the more filtration the better.

I would not recommend any tankmates tbh aquarium isn't large enough . You would have to put other fish in with the same temperament as the African or most likely will be killed.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Personally I would keep the HOB filter going along with the sponge filter.

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
I wouldn't mix the African with that pleco. The pleco is too expensive compared to the African to risk it. Get another tank, a 40 breeder, and fill that with Africans.

Scoobs55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
I wouldn't mix the African with that pleco. The pleco is too expensive compared to the African to risk it. Get another tank, a 40 breeder, and fill that with Africans.
The thing is, I don't/can't get another tank. I have to consolidate to one tank or one of the fish have to go. The pleco is massive compared to the cichlid.

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
Don't really know how to get rid of it. Also it will be boring with only a pleco. Idk what else to put in there. Pretty sure the pleco wouldn't be bothered.
If your african is a mbuna, it will eventually turn on the pleco.

You can try it if you're willing to risk it. You can add stuff to the pleco tank dude. Schooling fish would work. Rams would work. They'd be better than the mbuna (I assume that's what you have).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store