Delhezi sex determinition

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Hello MFK,
Keeping Delhezi Bichirs has been a very big Wish of mine for the last few years. I prepared a long time , before buying my first two Dels this February (i often read that it's easy to gender polys).
They were both worm-size (~2"). Becaus i wasn't shure if they'r male or femal i started to call them A and B until i know more. A few days ago i bought my third Del (couldn't resist with his unique pattern ). I called him Marty, like the Zebra in "Madagaskar", so i hope it's a boy^^.
This pattern made me think of trying to breed in the future, becaus it would be a shame not to try to keep this pattern. This made the male/female question even more important for me, so i thought i ask you for advice. At the moment they are all 3 between (7" and 8,5").
Is this too early to tell witch gender they have? Or does it take an more experienced eye than mine?
If you say 7"-8,5" is enough, i can upload a few images.
Thank you very much in advance .

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello MFK,
Keeping Delhezi Bichirs has been a very big Wish of mine for the last few years. I prepared a long time , before buying my first two Dels this February (i often read that it's easy to gender polys).
They were both worm-size (~2"). Becaus i wasn't shure if they'r male or femal i started to call them A and B until i know more. A few days ago i bought my third Del (couldn't resist with his unique pattern ). I called him Marty, like the Zebra in "Madagaskar", so i hope it's a boy^^.
This pattern made me think of trying to breed in the future, becaus it would be a shame not to try to keep this pattern. This made the male/female question even more important for me, so i thought i ask you for advice. At the moment they are all 3 between (7" and 8,5").
Is this too early to tell witch gender they have? Or does it take an more experienced eye than mine?
If you say 7"-8,5" is enough, i can upload a few images.
Thank you very much in advance .

This should helphttps://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ing-information-post-your-experiences.684419/

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
pics pics pics!!!
I think 7 or 8 inches is large enough to determine the sex of a delhezi.

J jaws7777 how big was Belle when he turned into Kong?
Its more an amount of time versus size. My two male dels were both 8"+ and we all still thought they were female. A year later and boom MALE! Lol one was 10-11" the other 9"ish. They were somewhere between 1.5 and 2 years I think.

Reactions: tlindsey and clm08k

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Its more an amount of time versus size. My to male dels were both 8"+ and we all still thought they were female. A year later and boom MALE! Lol one was 10-11" the other 9"ish.
thank you so much for the correction! :) Maybe that's why they were so interested in Udon. hehehehe

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Thanks for the fast answers :D

Thats very helpfull already. According to the illustration up above, i would say, they're all female...but i'm not 100% sure...

Here a view Pics:

A:

B:

Marty:

These are the best pics i was able to take the last few days. The you need better picture of them, just tell me :D

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store