Depressed Oscar?

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
So, i have two oscar cichlids, a sun cat, and a common pleco. all fish are under 3" and are in a 10 gallon tank. theyre in the 10gal while i reseal the bigger tank, dont worry.

Tank decor: i used to have 4 natural rocks, 3 big, one medium as decor. i have gravel as a substrate. i had a lot of algea growing on the rocks, but more than 2 days ago, i removed 3 of the rocks because the algea was growing two fast, leaving one big one for the sun cat to hide under.

Behavior: the fish were doing good. did a water change when i removed the rocks. the oscars were active, responsive, hungry. everything normal.

Water parameters are normal. Did a water change not too long ago.

Problem: Today i noticed that my Red Oscar has been reeeaaaaly depressed. it was swimming slowly near the bottom of the tank, and often times it was just resting at the bottom. it wasnt that interesting in eating. it would a chase after the food, but it didnt actually eat the food. Overall, its just in a really depressed mood all day.

What could

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Oscars are notorious for sulking if something changes that they don't like. Even something changing outside their tank can cause them to sulk.

I haven't kept O's at all but Jexnell Jexnell and Go_redfish Go_redfish may be able to help.

Sounds like he's just sulking but definitely wait for a more knowledgeable member to respond to be sure.

If you can post a picture of him that will also help. :)

Good luck!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Oscars are known for their sulky moods. A lot will behave that way just from normal tank maintenance.
Though I see in your profile picture that oscar is in a bare bottom tank. Is that a picture from one in the old tank or the 10g?
It could also be the reflection off the bottom bothering it, if that’s the 10.

As for the temporary 10g.... do you have any plastic totes? At least 20-40gals?
I understand it’s just till their tank is resealed, but it would be a shame to have issues arise from bullying or a sudden ammonia spike.
If the tank is nearly done then moving them again now would be pointless, but something to consider if a temporary housing situation is needed again in the future:)

DawnMichele

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
Florida
Hello. My Oscar Big Boy ALWAYS sulks!!! LOL!!! If I do anything different in his tank he has a fit!!! LOL!!!

Reactions: Zak03

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
So, i have two oscar cichlids, a sun cat, and a common pleco. all fish are under 3" and are in a 10 gallon tank. theyre in the 10gal while i reseal the bigger tank, dont worry.

Tank decor: i used to have 4 natural rocks, 3 big, one medium as decor. i have gravel as a substrate. i had a lot of algea growing on the rocks, but more than 2 days ago, i removed 3 of the rocks because the algea was growing two fast, leaving one big one for the sun cat to hide under.

Behavior: the fish were doing good. did a water change when i removed the rocks. the oscars were active, responsive, hungry. everything normal.

Water parameters are normal. Did a water change not too long ago.

Problem: Today i noticed that my Red Oscar has been reeeaaaaly depressed. it was swimming slowly near the bottom of the tank, and often times it was just resting at the bottom. it wasnt that interesting in eating. it would a chase after the food, but it didnt actually eat the food. Overall, its just in a really depressed mood all day.

What could
Yes Oscars do sulk when there is change such as changing the decor so this is not out of the ordinary. I do agree with MrsE88 that you should look into getting a large plastic tote because even temporarily the 10 gallon is extremely pushing it. Also how much longer until the tank is resealed and what is the size tank of the tank that needs to be resealed?

Reactions: Matteus and Zak03

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Oscars are known for their sulky moods. A lot will behave that way just from normal tank maintenance.
Though I see in your profile picture that oscar is in a bare bottom tank. Is that a picture from one in the old tank or the 10g?
It could also be the reflection off the bottom bothering it, if that’s the 10.

As for the temporary 10g.... do you have any plastic totes? At least 20-40gals?
I understand it’s just till their tank is resealed, but it would be a shame to have issues arise from bullying or a sudden ammonia spike.
If the tank is nearly done then moving them again now would be pointless, but something to consider if a temporary housing situation is needed again in the future:)
the profile picture is an older photo. when i didnt have any substrate.

so sulking could is mostly caused by disturbance to their familiar. gotcha. but would Oscars have a loss of interest in food? I tried feeding them this morning and my red didn't get that excited.

Last edited:

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Yes Oscars do sulk when there is change such as changing the decor so this is not out of the ordinary. I do agree with MrsE88 that you should look into getting a large plastic tote because even temporarily the 10 gallon is extremely pushing it. Also how much longer until the tank is resealed and what is the size tank of the tank that needs to be resealed?
ill be resealing most likely this weekend. it's a 40 gallon, and I will be upgrading to 100+ eventually. I understand that the 40 gallon is too small for a long term commitment.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
ill be resealing most likely this weekend. it's a 40 gallon, and I will be upgrading to 100+ eventually. I understand that the 40 gallon is too small for a long term commitment.
It's pretty small for a short term commitment as well at least for the said species. What are the exact dimensions of the 100. You may be better off going for a 125 or larger.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
It's pretty small for a short term commitment as well at least for the said species. What are the exact dimensions of the 100. You may be better off going for a 125 or larger.
i dont have larger tank at the moment. and by "100+ " i meant a tank that has a capacity over 100 gallons. i want to get a tank that is closer to 200gal though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store