Different Gar?

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Hi, I own 3 florida, 3 spotted & 1 alligator gar. However I have come across a melanistic tropical gar, what is a tropical gar, max size; etc? From a quick google search the tropical gar looks like a cuban gar with an alligator gar mouth/ headshape? But presuming theyre all their own kind?
I want to own a Cuban gar at some point + a platinum or melanistic gar, but I want more information about Cuban & Tropical.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi, I own 3 florida, 3 spotted & 1 alligator gar. However I have come across a melanistic tropical gar, what is a tropical gar, max size; etc? From a quick google search the tropical gar looks like a cuban gar with an alligator gar mouth/ headshape? But presuming theyre all their own kind?
I want to own a Cuban gar at some point + a platinum or melanistic gar, but I want more information about Cuban & Tropical.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/cuban-gar.720078/

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Cubans and trops fall into the same genus as alligator gars: Atractosteus. They're quite closely related allopatric species.

Gators are A. spatula (North America), trops are A. tropicus (Central America), and Cubans are A. tristoechus (Western Cuba and nearby islands).

Gators are by far and away the largest, but neither of the others can fairly be called small. All three have the potential to be quite aggressive to tankmates, but your mileage may vary. Personally, I wouldn't consider keeping alligator gars as they get far too large for most home aquaria.

Reactions: tlindsey

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Cubans and trops fall into the same genus as alligator gars: Atractosteus. They're quite closely related allopatric species.

Gators are A. spatula (North America), trops are A. tropicus (Central America), and Cubans are A. tristoechus (Western Cuba and nearby islands).

Gators are by far and away the largest, but neither of the others can fairly be called small. All three have the potential to be quite aggressive to tankmates, but your mileage may vary. Personally, I wouldn't consider keeping alligator gars as they get far too large for most home aquaria.
awesome, what are cuban & tropical gar max sizes & how readily available are they?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
awesome, what are cuban & tropical gar max sizes & how readily available are they?
2-3' range for both species seems to be a reliable max in captivity. I suspect both species have the genetic potential to get even larger given space and time.

Both species are known to pop up fairly regularly, but availability is sporadic. Typically the bigger retailers such as the vendors here on MFK are the ones likely to have these gars. Keep an eye on them, and be ready to buy when they're available, because they typically don't last long.

Budget about $400 per fish in order to be SURE you have enough to cover both the fish and the shipping, which is typically as much or more than the fish itself for larger species such as gars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store