Discus Breeding System

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
After getting further into the plywood aquarium construction I realized I would not be able to just slide the sheets of glass in and glue them, I was going to have to cut them. This would not have been such an issue had I checked to see if they were tempered or not...

Needless to say this happened on the first sheet I tried to cut. It did not blow up on the scoring of the glass it was me trying to snap that piece off.... and yes I was thinking something was wrong when I had to put that much pressure on it to break it off.

View attachment 1268807

The piece literally blew up, I have been finding pieces all over my garage, it went everywhere. I now check every piece of glass before scoring and trying to break to see if it is tempered or not. Just so everyone knows tempered glass (safty glass) explodes when broken. However, it can quite a bit of abuse before it will explode.

So to check I did the ole polarized sunglasses trick and a laptop monitor (I would have used my phone but I had added a screen protector that is tempered and would throw it all off).

My next cut/break was successful, well I considered it a success it didn't blow up.

View attachment 1268804

A bit jagged, but it worked! I figured I would sand down the rest of it so I didn't run the risk of breaking too much. I used medium grit sandpaper (80-100 grit).

View attachment 1268812

I am still working on this part, but it is getting there. This part just takes time since I am avoiding cracking this piece.

Now back to the plywood, I put a couple coats of paint on the outside and inside of the tanks. I have also now added a couple coats of pond armor.

View attachment 1268811 View attachment 1268813 View attachment 1268814

So everything is moving pretty quickly now so I thought I would setup a quarantine tank so I can start cycling some media and even get some fish soon. Especially if I am getting 2"-3" and it will be months before they are able to breed. I had to clean and then setup the tank.

View attachment 1268805
View attachment 1268806 View attachment 1268808 View attachment 1268810 View attachment 1268809

I am considering adding a tank divider in there and putting some of my bio balls in there with an air pump to start getting my media cycled for the rack.
Looking great! This project is awesome!

I made friends with a breeder, man are these things crazy lol

gmaniac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2016
Missouri, US
Hendre Hendre Thanks! I am excited about it all, even though it feels like it is taking me forever to get anything done.

Y Yulli Did you end up buying any discus yet? I talked with Frank from the theifishstore about his aquabid posts. Turns out you are not getting a deal on that site, he has a reserve set that makes you pay what you would on his site.

Reactions: Hendre

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
Maybe I missed it, but do you have a site for all these goodies you are computerizing? I don't think I'd go as far as you, but a flow meter, temp sensor and light control in one UI would be neat to have

Setup looks awesome, go big or go home?

gmaniac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2016
Missouri, US
T takagari no i currently do not have a website. I will keep you all posted on development progress. I will also be posting how I build everything and provide all the code I write for it as well. If I get everything fine tuned I might eventually have the tech side packaged up and sell that as well, but that was not the original idea.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Great updates, still watching this one. Looking good.

gmaniac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2016
Missouri, US
T takagari I am going to use a micro computer such as an arduino or raspberry pi to receive and interpret the data coming from my flow meter and thermostat. It will control the flow by a valve and the heaters with a switch to determine when it receives power. All these parts are sold individually on amazon or a diy sites. There are alot of tutorials on things like this out there, I am just going to combine them all and get them working together. I will also make an app to control all these different things on the fly.

BIG-G BIG-G Thanks! I hope to be providing updates more often now and hopefully get some fish soon! I feel like that scene in Jurassic Park,
"Ah, now eventually you do plan to have dinosaurs on your dinosaur tour, right?"

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
lol yeah I assume eventually we will see some fish. Right?

Yulli

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2016
Hendre Hendre Thanks! I am excited about it all, even though it feels like it is taking me forever to get anything done.

Y Yulli Did you end up buying any discus yet? I talked with Frank from the theifishstore about his aquabid posts. Turns out you are not getting a deal on that site, he has a reserve set that makes you pay what you would on his site.
My project got pushed by switching jobs haha, I'm actually just starting it back up. Going to scrap the idea of one monster plywood in favor of 2 150's which I happened to get for free, all they needed were to be resealed, and using a drip system instead of trying to mess with solenoids or cherry pies to automate a bulk change. I lucked out in that my water is > 50 tds with no chlorine additives and reasonable PH. Also i calculated the amount i would be spending to have my well pump running per gallon which came out to a stupidly low price. When I compare that to the development costs of either a controller or just a timed system it didnt really make sense.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store