Does this Fire Eel look healthy?

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Hello,

A little over one month ago I purchased a Fire Eel. I've put all sorts of food in the tank but I have never seen him eat. I'm getting worried he'll starve to death. I've asked before how to tell if he's eating when I'm not looking. Most of the responses were "see if he looks too skinny". However I do not know what too-skinny looks like for an eel.

Could any experienced eel keepers out there tell me, does this Fire Eel appear too skinny, or unhealthy in any way? I can provide more pics if needed.

Thank you!

More details:
Foods provided - frozen blood worms, diced cocktail shrimp, diced earthworms, and live earthworms all placed inside his favorite hiding spot or dangled in front of his nose for a couple minutes. Live black worms and ghost shrimp continually stocked in the tank (in hopes he's hunting them at night).
Tankmates - 5 discus (2-3 in), 4 dwarf gourami (juvies), 4 denison barbs (juvies), 3 siamese flying fox, 1 emerald rainbowfish (juvie), 8 cory cats, 8 lemon tetras, 8 cardinal tetras.
Tank Specs - 125g (72in long, 18in wide), heavily planted with several driftwood & rock hiding spots (which he uses frequently), heavy light during the day but dark for 12 hours at night, zero nitratre, nitrite, and ammonia, 25-35% WC's every other day, PH kept steady around 6.8, temp kept steady at 81-82 F.

Eel Pic 1.jpg Eel Pic 2.jpg Eel Pic 3.jpg Eel Pic 4.jpg

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Oh...and the eel is currently around 7 inches long. No idea as to the age. He's most active in the morning just after lights begin ramping up. He'll hide away a short time later, but he'll poke his head out throughout the day.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
It is hard to tell from the pictures but it looks decent. It has great color for a 7" eel. They are very hard to onto other foods. You might try separating it into another smaller tank for a little bit to be sure it's eating what you're providing for it.

My two fire eels are eating frozen bloodworms, frozen krill, and frozen market shrimp. They even take a few bites of frozen beef heart when I throw it in. My two are around 10-12" right now. They are both about the same length and the smaller one has a shape similar to yours while the larger one easily has twice the girth. They do hide a lot during the day but they usually have no issues with coming out to eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store