Drip system. Fool proof ?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Drill the sump/tank for your drains. Overflows are a ticking timebomb. IME. Eventually they lose prime and will fail.
I've not thought a drip as a replacement solely for a a type if drain. I have an internal overflow with weir and dont see that ever losing siphon. But perhaps this is referring to other external types?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I am referring to any type of drain with an overflow that depends on siphon/primed. I believe drilling is always safer. Many drilled systems use weirs.

This is for both drip drains and tank to sump drains.

I've seen homemade overflows fail and flood many times. Adding this advice for any that may view the thread

Good luck

Last edited:

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Find your ideal water line in the sump, drill under it an install a 90 degree elbow. Run water out of the house downhill. My setup isn't great, long horizontal run to get it out of the house, 50+ft. Gets clogged sometimes. A more vertical run with larger diameter tubing would ensure no issues. I use multiple 2 gph drip emitters. Every time the water fills above the elbow line the water runs out of the house. I'm not sure if running siphons on your normal drains will become less reliable because of the drip overflow. Gravity is pretty reliable.

Reactions: suckerfish

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I use a 90° elbow off the bulkhead in my sump. I threaded in a garden hose adaptor and run a hose to my floor drain.

2017-02-11 12.18.02.jpg

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Find your ideal water line in the sump, drill under it an install a 90 degree elbow. Run water out of the house downhill. My setup isn't great, long horizontal run to get it out of the house, 50+ft. Gets clogged sometimes. A more vertical run with larger diameter tubing would ensure no issues. I use multiple 2 gph drip emitters. Every time the water fills above the elbow line the water runs out of the house. I'm not sure if running siphons on your normal drains will become less reliable because of the drip overflow. Gravity is pretty reliable.
Gotta stupid question but if you put the bulkhead/drain below the water line water drains out right. Then refills ising dripemitters....soooooo only way it could flood is if the drain gets clogged ?

Why the placement of rhe bulk head under the water line ? Isnt that going to change the water line to being constantly lower ? Meaning jist below the bilkhead ?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
You got it...the only way it can fail is if it gets clogged. That's why I run a 1.5" bulkhead for my drip drain. There's no way it could clog, plus it easily handles all the water that drains into the sump when I turn the pumps off to do tank maintenance. I position my drain as high as possible to allow my sumps to run full...that way if you have a power failure, there is plenty of water left in the sump when the pumps kick back on so you don't run dry. I'll be uploading that video a bit later today after I'm done running around.

Reactions: jaws7777

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Gotta stupid question but if you put the bulkhead/drain below the water line water drains out right. Then refills ising dripemitters....soooooo only way it could flood is if the drain gets clogged ?

Why the placement of rhe bulk head under the water line ? Isnt that going to change the water line to being constantly lower ? Meaning jist below the bilkhead ?
Drilled under the line with an elbow upturned so you can adjust it. It takes a little bit of finesse finding an ideal set up, and it would suck a lot to drill at where you think you want it only to find you want to turn the pumps down or something. Mine was done by glass cages I think, it has a bulkhead with an adjustable elbow inside the sump that goes to like a 3/4" output pin. Then you just get (preferably opaque) acrylic tubing to the length you need it. Garden hose sounds nifty too.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store