Drip system. Fool proof ?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Accurate no, usually close though. That’s why I say “ish” on my GPH statements. The goal is minimal nitrate so close is usually sufficient
Yeah I didn't think there was any "set" gph/gpd we are going for. I'd say as long as you get a round about number that gets your nitrates down who cares how many gpd you change? I mean it's dripping whether it's 1.2 or 2.1 it's still a drip.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
im still planning on setting this up so to you guys arent off the hook.

I was talking to a guy in HD who said i dont need a regulator since im on a well. The pressure is regulated at the pump.

Thoughts ?

Found this
20180112_080730.jpg

Anyone use one of these ?

Screenshot_20180113-184410.png

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West

I was talking to a guy in HD who said i dont need a regulator since im on a well. The pressure is regulated at the pump.

Thoughts ?

Found this
View attachment 1294472

View attachment 1294473

I use the 25PSI regulator on my drip and an ro flow restrictor to control output . Also set my drip on an irrigation timer to set GPH to achieve 97% of my water changed weekly

Reactions: GoldFinger

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario

Thoughts ?

Found this
View attachment 1294472

View attachment 1294473
I tried a few of those regulators from HD and both failed to work.
Yes your pressure switch dictates the pressure in your entire house, but will have no impact on the pressure you choose to regulate for your drip, as I’m assuming you don’t want to dial your entire house down to 25PSI or less.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I tried a few of those regulators from HD and both failed to work.
Yes your pressure switch dictates the pressure in your entire house, but will have no impact on the pressure you choose to regulate for your drip, as I’m assuming you don’t want to dial your entire house down to 25PSI or less.
Which do you use ?

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
Which do you use ?
I personally just use a series of ball valves. I think I outlined it in page 3 of this thread. I know others have had success with regulators but if it’s made of plastic and costs $10 I’m not risking it.

I really liked HarleyK HarleyK idea of simply adapting to a faucet if you aren’t going to treat your water and want to temper it.

E9F70A5F-2385-4209-A7B9-029F11C158C3.jpeg

Last edited:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I personally just use a series of ball valves. I think I outlined it in page 3 of this thread. I know others have had success with regulators but if it’s made of plastic and costs $10 I’m not risking it.

I really liked HarleyK HarleyK idea of simply adapting to a faucet if you aren’t going to treat your water and want to temper it.

View attachment 1294522
Im sorry man you did explain it earlier

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
J jaws7777 I would not over think it. Below is a link to the thread on my aimara where I have pics of the drip system I setup. You will see I paid a plumber to come in and install another line from main water line. He installed I guess a ball valve which I have then connect a plastic regulator. I do not have the water line open full, probably like 25% and then the regulator takes care of the rest. This is in an unfinished part of my basement/laundry room which I come to regularly. I will saw the plumber warned me against using one of those tools that pierces a pipe instead of doing it like this.

If I could do it again, I would seriously consider having the plumber do this on the outline of my water heater. While it put strain on my water heater and potentially reduces its life, my aquarium heaters definitely turn on more often now. Also, my biggest concern is that if my power ever goes out I will have cold water dripping into my tank with no heaters to heat it. Versus if I connected the drip to my water heater, when the power goes out my tank will always remain at a stable temperature.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/one-more-try-another-amaira.683815/page-7

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
J jaws7777 I would not over think it. Below is a link to the thread on my aimara where I have pics of the drip system I setup. You will see I paid a plumber to come in and install another line from main water line. He installed I guess a ball valve which I have then connect a plastic regulator. I do not have the water line open full, probably like 25% and then the regulator takes care of the rest. This is in an unfinished part of my basement/laundry room which I come to regularly. I will saw the plumber warned me against using one of those tools that pierces a pipe instead of doing it like this.

If I could do it again, I would seriously consider having the plumber do this on the outline of my water heater. While it put strain on my water heater and potentially reduces its life, my aquarium heaters definitely turn on more often now. Also, my biggest concern is that if my power ever goes out I will have cold water dripping into my tank with no heaters to heat it. Versus if I connected the drip to my water heater, when the power goes out my tank will always remain at a stable temperature.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/one-more-try-another-amaira.683815/page-7
I am a plumber so I can say I definitely agree using the piercing valves always at some point give you a leak.

I never added hot water to temper my drip however I have noticed my heaters are either not working properly or they just can’t keep up. The alarm on my ink bird controller has been going off like crazy lately. I will be adding a mixing valve soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store