Exodon questionsn stuff

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Good morning mfk.

This weekend I am getting my first large tank (250litres) to start setting it up and will be getting the fish in 2 weeks
I am going to build a DIY canister like the one by @UaruJoey on YouTube with a 1200-1500 lph pump
The dimensions are 120x45x45 roughly

First.

So how many exodons would be suitable for that tank?
I am thinking 25 as I can't afford loads right now.

Second.
As the tank is next to a glass door (occupies wall next to the tank) I would like to have a means to minimise algae apart from closing half the curtains. Would a UV steriliser, just enough to kill algae it doesn't have to sterilise the water, or would a diy reactor with phosphate removing media work better?

Third.
Would a diet of 50% carnivore pellet, 30% raw angelfish (saltwater one) and 20% purpose made gel food be good for these fish?

Fourth.
Plants? Any good ones for a tank with black sand?

Fifth.
What size breeding &raising tank would be good?

Any input appreciated =)

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Good morning mfk.

This weekend I am getting my first large tank (250litres) to start setting it up and will be getting the fish in 2 weeks
I am going to build a DIY canister like the one by @UaruJoey on YouTube with a 1200-1500 lph pump
The dimensions are 120x45x45 roughly

First.

So how many exodons would be suitable for that tank?
I am thinking 25 as I can't afford loads right now.

Second.
As the tank is next to a glass door (occupies wall next to the tank) I would like to have a means to minimise algae apart from closing half the curtains. Would a UV steriliser, just enough to kill algae it doesn't have to sterilise the water, or would a diy reactor with phosphate removing media work better?

Third.
Would a diet of 50% carnivore pellet, 30% raw angelfish (saltwater one) and 20% purpose made gel food be good for these fish?

Fourth.
Plants? Any good ones for a tank with black sand?

Fifth.
What size breeding &raising tank would be good?

Any input appreciated =)

I would aim for 30 in that size tank. Make sure they are close in size as the little ones will get picked off easy

If you are worried about light put a background and cover the sides up this should help. See how it goes from there

From what I have experienced with these fish are they are not picky so use that to your advantage and vary their diet as much as possible

They do well in planted tanks....I would do a carper pf dwarf sag...... amazon swords and jungle Val in the back and ( java fern ,anubias, tied to driftwood)

As far as breeding goes very hard to breed I don't think it's been done

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Do any of these plants need co2?
Breeding has been achieved with live food and largr warm water changes according to one scource

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store