Feeding small fish on a 130gallon tank

kim91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2016
Santa Ana
I just bought a 130gallon tank and i have 2 silver dollars 2 red bellied pacu, 1 clown knifefish and a baby RTC, how do i feed them? the tank is so big and every time i come near the tank they all swim away and hide from me. What's wrong with my fishes? please help. Thanks

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I'd look at putting the food in a ceramic bowl, once you've waterlogged it and made it soggy (pellets etc and/or bloodworm for example), the fish will sniff it out; and will keep it relatively clean and tidy since stray food should mostly stay in the bowl

kim91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2016
Santa Ana
I will try that tomorrow, I hope it'll work. Thanks.

Is it normal that they hide/ran away from me every time i come? It's been two weeks already. I also did a water change and it's the same thing. Check my water parameters and everything is okay. Do you know what seems to be the problem with them?

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
They might need more cover, can you post pics?
Or they might just still be afraid of you.
I hope you have a much bigger tank ready for that clown knife and RTC.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Maybe they don't feel safe? Have you got many plants, wood pieces etc with them? I know that silver dollars especially like lots of cover when in small groups (such as pairs), as it makes them feel less 'vulnerable'.

If they tank is heavily planted or decorated with lots of cover already, you may just have to be patient and try not to move to quickly around their tank. My silver dollars were really skittish when I got them, so every time I would walk past their tank I'd move in 'slow motion' and sit in front of them for hours on end until they got comfortable with my presence, as they got comfortable with me I started moving a little bit quicker past their tank every couple of days, until finally I could run past their tank and it doesn't bother them, however if any of my friends go into the room they dart for cover. Its all about letting them know that you're not a threat to them. :) I hope this helps some. Welcome to mfk.

Edit: Betta123 beat me to it.. :D

Reactions: kim91

kim91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2016
Santa Ana
They might need more cover, can you post pics?
Or they might just still be afraid of you.
I hope you have a much bigger tank ready for that clown knife and RTC.
I only have 3 medium size driftwood in the tank and artificial plants. I will post pic tomorrow since it's already late i don't to turn on the lights and startle them. 130 gallon (6x2x2) is not enough for them?

kim91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2016
Santa Ana
Maybe they don't feel safe? Have you got many plants, wood pieces etc with them? I know that silver dollars especially like lots of cover when in small groups (such as pairs), as it makes them feel less 'vulnerable'.

If they tank is heavily planted or decorated with lots of cover already, you may just have to be patient and try not to move to quickly around their tank. My silver dollars were really skittish when I got them, so every time I would walk past their tank I'd move in 'slow motion' and sit in front of them for hours on end until they got comfortable with my presence, as they got comfortable with me I started moving a little bit quicker past their tank every couple of days, until finally I could run past their tank and it doesn't bother them, however if any of my friends go into the room they dart for cover. Its all about letting them know that you're not a threat to them. :) I hope this helps some. Welcome to mfk.

Edit: Betta123 beat me to it.. :D
I will post pictures tomorrow, But only small artificial plants and 3 wood pieces.

I do that too. every movements i do is in slow motion. and sit down beside them and a couple minutes later they will start to swim but after that it we will start again from slow motion and getting comfortable. I hope they're not stressing out because i am. It's really sad that every time i go to the tank they hide from me. It's depressing. Thanks for welcoming me.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Is all good, the people on here are very knowledgeable, give great advice, and are always happy to help.

Your tank probably needs more plant cover, and will not house your clown knife and RTC for life, as they get HUGE! Almost longer than I am tall I think, you'll need a giant tank for them if you plan on keeping them for life, do a little research on the fish your keeping, you can make them much happier if you know what they need. :) and always, from here on in, research before you buy. Make sure that the fish you purchase are going to get along with your other fish, make sure they have similar requirements to your other fish, and always check the fish's maximum size, the last thing you want is a monster that you're not prepared for. :)

Also, I'm not to sure on this so don't hold me to it, but I think RBP get fairly big as well, someone correct me if I'm wrong here. :)

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
It's the nature of the beast with silver dollars and pacu's, the waters they are endemic too are very unforgiving with predators; so their natural response is to flee in the wild, and in tanks. Unfortunately this can have a detrimental effect on other fish, indicating to them that there is an apparent danger nearby, can be very unsettling to fish that prefer slow moving tankmates.

Pacu's get absolutely massive, so it would be prudent to evaluate how you'll deal with that in future; if the answer is that you can't, I'd recommend doing something about it at this stage, as it will be infinitely harder to deal with it when you have a huge, huge fish on your hands. This also applies to the RTC, clown knifes are also heavyweights.

Not trying to discourage at all, just trying to help out with info :)

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
It's the nature of the beast with silver dollars and pacu's, the waters they are endemic too are very unforgiving with predators; so their natural response is to flee in the wild, and in tanks. Unfortunately this can have a detrimental effect on other fish, indicating to them that there is an apparent danger nearby, can be very unsettling to fish that prefer slow moving tankmates.

Pacu's get absolutely massive, so it would be prudent to evaluate how you'll deal with that in future; if the answer is that you can't, I'd recommend doing something about it at this stage, as it will be infinitely harder to deal with it when you have a huge, huge fish on your hands. This also applies to the RTC, clown knifes are also heavyweights.

Not trying to discourage at all, just trying to help out with info :)
This is some good advice. Its usually much easier to re-home a 'beast-to-be than it is a beast, and you don't run the risk of the beast outgrowing your tank while you try to find it a new home. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store