Few questions on Arapaima.

Roberto G

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Costa Rica
That Arapaima is looking great! I am looking forward to your picture updates as this Arapaima grows. Thanks for the information.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Thanks Jeremy! At the beginning I was looking like crazy for information, but I think i could now be able to provide information about the early stages of arapaima life, specially when babies and that's why I'm still keeping this post updated with pictures and answering all questions you people may have.

We ever get pics of that lake?
Hey! I know most of you are waiting for me to post pictures of where this monster will live the rest of his/her life, the lake is located at a recreational farm my family owns that's like half an hour from where the arapaima lives atm, I haven't been able to visit the farm in some time now, but I'll have to pay a visit soon since this fish is growing way faster than I thought it would and the time for me to move it to a bigger place is getting closer and closer. So please trust me on this, there IS a big pond where this Arapaima will live, I'll post some pictures ASAP, also, I'll probably also build a smaller pond at my backyard in these days since the Arapaima isn't big enough yet to go into a large place, but is now getting small for a fishtank.

Cheers,

Roberto G

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Costa Rica
This is how my Arapaima usually eats. Can't wait for it to become a monster and see it eating with this same power.

Enjoy!

Reactions: GiantLakeMan

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
Frozen blood worms
Float em
Drop in sinking pellets if u want...
Ghost shrimp
But really blood worms

Throw in a chunk every few hours

Change water

He will get nutrients from it

If u want add a vitamin water additive
And blood worms

Grows fast
Never got to keep one
Know people that raised them
They are difficult at that size
Very hungry
Will calm down as he gets bigger.

Good luck
Freeze dried blood worms work too
But bare tank like that frozen and live black will work great for some quick growth.

Now add more blood worms

Roberto G

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Costa Rica
Frozen blood worms
Float em
Drop in sinking pellets if u want...
Ghost shrimp
But really blood worms

Throw in a chunk every few hours

Change water

He will get nutrients from it

If u want add a vitamin water additive
And blood worms

Grows fast
Never got to keep one
Know people that raised them
They are difficult at that size
Very hungry
Will calm down as he gets bigger.

Good luck
Freeze dried blood worms work too
But bare tank like that frozen and live black will work great for some quick growth.

Now add more blood worms
Thanks?

Roberto G

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Costa Rica
So I was finally able to move my Arapaima to my 250gal tank... It'll stay here until it reaches at least 60cm in length.

I've decided I won't keep the Arapaima in the lake I mentioned before, instead I'll build a lake from scratch were I live (I live in a big farm so there's plenty of space for me to build a big lake). I want to build a lake that's specifically designed to house an Arapaima, so I would really appreciate if anyone could provide basic measures or things I should keep into consideration when designing the lake.

I know building a lake isn't cheap, but that's something I've been aware of since the day I purchased this fish. I already got all the filtration system for a 45.000gal lake, I just need to dig the hole and stuff :p.

Here's a photo of the Arapaima in it's new tank... Remember when it was just a little wiggler? They grow so fast! It's amazing! I love this fish with all my heart! :rolleyes:

Cheers!
DSC_0046.JPG
PD: The tank is 2.5mts long, so you can have an idea of how much this fish has grown! This tank will be it's home until late december.

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
Costa Rica? If that's true pretty lucky u are one of the few who can keep that want to keep this guy. Very jealous. Far as size wide long and shallow.
Believe these guys like shallow slow moving pools and breathe air when full grown. Least it's what I heard. Too cold here for me to afford one but one day.
One day gonna have a tank big enough 2 of them I like big tanks with tiny fish too. And big morays so guess I'll need three massive tanks.....

Roberto G

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Costa Rica
Costa Rica? If that's true pretty lucky u are one of the few who can keep that want to keep this guy. Very jealous. Far as size wide long and shallow.
Believe these guys like shallow slow moving pools and breathe air when full grown. Least it's what I heard. Too cold here for me to afford one but one day.
One day gonna have a tank big enough 2 of them I like big tanks with tiny fish too. And big morays so guess I'll need three massive tanks.....
Hahaha yes, it is true! I'm from Costa Rica! I think I'm not the only one with an arapaima here at my country, but I do plan on keeping it longer than anyone and be able to have the country's biggest pima ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store