Few questions on Arapaima.

Roberto G

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Costa Rica
Would be nice to see
Could you please not focus on making me look unprepared and actually read what I wrote next to the last video I posted? Cheezus man, I swear you people are sometimes the worse... Why can't you look at the bright side of things? I have no current need to have the lake built, the arapaima is still very small and if I place it in a pond or lake it'll probably be victim of some big bird or something (I've had eagles and hawks taking Kois out of a small pool I had them in). I live in a large property were space isn't a big deal, I could built the lake literally whenever I want, but since there's really no need for it now, then I'm not giving it my top priority. So could you please relax for a sec and just enjoy some photos and videos of a beautiful Arapaima?

Please let's focus on the cool stuff, since I'm already taking care of the not so cool stuff.

Cheers people, please don't hate, that's not good for u! :p

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Could you please not focus on making me look unprepared and actually read what I wrote next to the last video I posted? Cheezus man, I swear you people are sometimes the worse... Why can't you look at the bright side of things? I have no current need to have the lake built, the arapaima is still very small and if I place it in a pond or lake it'll probably be victim of some big bird or something (I've had eagles and hawks taking Kois out of a small pool I had them in). I live in a large property were space isn't a big deal, I could built the lake literally whenever I want, but since there's really no need for it now, then I'm not giving it my top priority. So could you please relax for a sec and just enjoy some photos and videos of a beautiful Arapaima?

Please let's focus on the cool stuff, since I'm already taking care of the not so cool stuff.

Cheers people, please don't hate, that's not good for u! :p
Well said

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
...I think people just wanted to see pics of the area its going in...no one said you're keeping a fish waaaaaaaaaay too big because obviously you have a good plan in place for it. just my .02 and I'm usually the one to tell someone they have a fish far too large for the hobby. I feel like you are more or less expecting that argument.

regardless awesome fish cant wait to see the monster it turns into.

Reactions: Rghfor

Roberto G

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Costa Rica
...I think people just wanted to see pics of the area its going in...no one said you're keeping a fish waaaaaaaaaay too big because obviously you have a good plan in place for it. just my .02 and I'm usually the one to tell someone they have a fish far too large for the hobby. I feel like you are more or less expecting that argument.

regardless awesome fish cant wait to see the monster it turns into.
I've been expecting that argument literally since I first thought of buying one more than 5 years ago. I've kept Water Monitors and Retic Pythons so I got a really clear idea of what it is to deal with such powerful and big creatures, arapaima are no exception.

It's logical experts advice on not keeping this fish practically AT ALL, but that's having in mind the average fishkeeper lives in a neighborhood with small backyards or no backyards at all an are unable to build a large enough enclosure for this type of fish. Luckily, I live in a big farm with large open spaces in which I can build the lake pretty much wherever it fits better, so that's really the only reason of why I bought this fish, wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for that, I'm totally aware of how massive this guys get and how quickly they achieve those sizes.

Also, I'm an active member of the Biology community here in Costa Rica and many of my acquaintances from this area are willing to help me build literally the perfect enclosure in terms of aquascaping and general habit conditions, so this arapaima couldn't have landed in better hands (specially considering pretty much all other arapaimas that came together with mine are dead now).

Rainy season is almost over here in Costa Rica which means I can start building the lake without the hassle of facing heavy thunderstorms in the process (you haven't seen rain until you visit a tropical country, trust me).

Please believe when I say I'll SPAM the hell out of you guys with pictures of the lake once it is in process and finally done, as I've been doing with pictures of the arapaima's growth (which I consider gives this thread in specific an advantage over other arapaima development threads, you can REALLY see how this fish grows and all the stages it's been through, and good news, I'm planning on keeping doing so until this fish dies (hopefully not soon at all)).

So, for now on please just enjoy what I post in here, have in mind this is all a process and it won't happen from one day to the other, and if you see I'm making a mistake along the way with something, feel free to make me know about it, cuz after all this is a discussion forum.

Cheers MFKs!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Start offering pellets every day even if he refuses, remove the uneaten after a while ...hell figure it out eventually... Most young pima die because they are not fed enough. They have a very fast metabolism at this size and thats y some consider them fragile. My pair accepted sinking pellets immediatly and id feed them 2-3 times a day. Grew them from the size of urs to 28" and 30" in less than 6 months on pellets. Super active fish and very rewarding to watch grow so quickly. good luck! Cute at this size... they start gettin scary as they grow lol... Very smart/aware specimen.... once they know u have food theyll follow u around as would any other "wet pet". Sooner u get ur guy on pellets the better, shouldnt b as hard as u think considering it was probably farm raised.
Agree. My experience with a pair mirrors this too.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wonderful thread, Roberto! Cheers!

I too just got my feet wet in the pima business about 6 months ago. Got them at 5". One's 16" the other is 3' today.

As for the red, the vendors I spoke with when I was looking for mine said that the red ones come from SE Asia and cost $1500+. The normal colored green ones come from South America farms and cost $200-$400.

Mine two were $225 each.

The 3' one has white spots on its finnage in the hind half. The smaller one doesn't, just black. I don't know what this means if anything.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Roberto G

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Costa Rica
Wonderful thread, Roberto! Cheers!

I too just got my feet wet in the pima business about 6 months ago. Got them at 5". One's 16" the other is 3' today.

As for the red, the vendors I spoke with when I was looking for mine said that the red ones come from SE Asia and cost $1500+. The normal colored green ones come from South America farms and cost $200-$400.

Mine two were $225 each.

The 3' one has white spots on its finnage in the hind half. The smaller one doesn't, just black. I don't know what this means if anything.
Thanks for the comment! I've been trying to document the whole growth of my Pima since I noticed there isn't a single post in MFK that does so, or at least in such detail as I'm going.

Arapaimas are definitely an amazing fish in terms of growth rate and personality. They are sharp as a knife in terms of intelligence and will for sure recognize you in a very short time and start acting different when you're around, and that is really something cool, mine even lets me pet it and never runs away when I stick my face in front of the glass, I can even bump the glass a little and it won't react, maybe it knows I won't do no harm?

As for coloration, my Pima was brought from a breeding facility in Ecuador, so it's definitely a more "natural" kind of Arapaima, I can't even imagine how many generations of Arapaima the people from Asia have bred... Those super red ones are probably the descendants of a loooooong line of breeders.

To some extent I like my Pima with it's natural coloration, it'd been great to see the complete evolution of both its growth and color development. It's actually starting to show off some really cool red hues in its scales and the orange spots on the tail are getting bigger by the month! I'm 100% positive I'll end up with a really good looking Arapaima. I have this idea that maybe those super red ones may even have some hormones in them, such as the ones used in baby Discus fish or in Flowerhorn cichlids to boost their coloration to maximum at very small sizes.

Anyways, I'd be great to see some footage of your Pimas.

PD: I got my Pima for $100 :D #Win

Cheers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store